free website stats program Heavy fuel vapor smell | Harley Davidson Forums

Heavy fuel vapor smell

gene

I just bought an 09 Heritage and after a few hundred miles were put on it, it seems to have a fuel vapor smell, really strong after you shut it off, but also can smell just sitting at a light. I've checked for leaks and have found none, talked to the dealer and they don't tell you anything, just wondering if someone could give me some kind of idea where to look, thanks, How do you change your profile?

Check the fuel overflow line that attaches to the fill port, also could be a fuel cap venting. If it's a calif bike there's a fuel carbon canister with hoses that could be off too.

So whee would these lines be located at, when you say fuel cap venting, you meaning possible bad cap and not sealing, don't no if this means anything, but i hear the fuel pump noise alot more than my 07, i never heard it at all, this one is loud

So whee would these lines be located at, when you say fuel cap venting, you meaning possible bad cap and not sealing, don't no if this means anything, but i hear the fuel pump noise alot more than my 07, i never heard it at all, this one is loud

The fuel cap on that bike has an internal vent in it. Or as you say the cap itself could be defective in sealing.

The fuel pumps are a bit noisy, that's pretty normal for the new setup.

If you have the cali model bike, the lines should probably be under the tank running to the canister.

Ok here's a question with this, i was sitting around reading alot of posts on here and come across the throttle adjustment one, i had installed some iso grips on the bike and have never returned right, dragging a lot where i almost manually had to return them to idle, so i worked on them more last night and actually got them to snap shut, fired it up and didn't smell the fuel smell for length of time i had it running, anything to this?

Back