free website stats program Heat Shields | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat Shields

I installed the H.D. mid-frame heat deflectors during the summer and am very pleased with them. I live in Florida with tempertures that are routinely 80 degrees and more. I installed with the heat shields the IEID's, betwen them the bike is quite comfortable even when stopped in hot traffic.

I installed the H.D. mid-frame heat deflectors during the summer and am very pleased with them. I live in Florida with tempertures that are routinely 80 degrees and more. I installed with the heat shields the IEID's, betwen them the bike is quite comfortable even when stopped in hot traffic.

How difficult was it to install the HD Shields? I understand that you have to use special nuts that compress and, accordingly, hold them into the frame. Looking to get a set and have them painted to match my bike. Thanks.

I have had them on my 08 ultra most of the 11000 miles and would not be without them. I have the HD ones,but there are several others.It`s not too tough to put them on ,just followed the directions.If I remember right took 1/2 hour or so.

What does anyone think about home made black plastic material like cheap floormats.Cutting to size and velcrowing to the seat pan?

I would love to add them to my '05 but I don't know if I can. A friend has them on his '07 RK and says they are worth their weight in gold especially in the hot summer months (110+ degrees when sitting at a light).

I will add them to mine as soon as I find out if I can...

As far as quality , I like RJ originals over the others. He's also a member on this site by the name of Zoood and posts in the trike section.

Here's my Trike build - Harley Davidson Community

Hey RetNavy,

I second Glider's comment about the RJS Originals. I purchased a set for my Heritage back in late 2007 and they not only direct the heat away from me and the wife's legs, but they also look good on the bike. The quality is great and Zoood will take calls on install issues - great guy to deal with!

Here's what they look like on my Heritage.

134-3408_IMG.jpg

133-3398_IMG.jpg

How difficult was it to install the HD Shields? I understand that you have to use special nuts that compress and, accordingly, hold them into the frame. Looking to get a set and have them painted to match my bike. Thanks.

Do not let the install stop you. I had to replace them on my 09 Ultra due to improper install from original HD build. Basically you insert the bushing(threaded half) into the provided hole, screw in the bolt until tight, this expands the bushing (the threaded part). You then remove the bolt. At this point the threaded bushing is set, and you just screw on the heat shields. 5 minutes tops. Don't let this concern you in the least. If you can start your bike, you can do this.

The heat shields do work. They are a bit difficult to install, but are worth it. Turned out to be a big improvement in diverting heat.

I got them on my WG,and they do work.The only issue I have with them is a very annoying rattle,but I dont know if its the shields or a loose baffle in my screaming eagle pipes.BTW,if it is the baffle,how do I sort that one out???

Back