free website stats program Heat and oil temperature | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat and oil temperature

Don't you need to have the dealer turn the heat management on for you?
My Dyna is cable pull throttle with no cruise control. So I have to use the SEST to turn it On/Off. Different for the TBW bikes w/ cruise. I am told you can request the dealer to turn it on & off 1 time without any charge.

Does my 2000 have this feature....I'm guessing it doesn't ....not really sure I'd want it anyway.
It is a great way to know your heading into the meltdown zone. Jugs are near 300*F when it kicks in. I don't think the feature does much to save the front cylinder from possible piston ring de-tension. But it gives you a heads up.

Nope...EITMS on/off is user controlled & all you do is:

1. Ignition ON & engine/run switch to RUN
2. Push throttle to roll-off & hold
3. Hold ~3 seconds
4. Cruise lamp "green" = ON, or "red" = OFF

Depends on the year. 2007 touring models cannot be turned on/off this way. They require a trip to the dealer. 2008 and later can be controlled the way you described.

I put the probe in as soon as I shut it off and then left it for 5 minutes .

I really can't say that for a fact but I have to think it may have something to do with it , if nothing else like it's been said many times it's good insurance compared to the regular dyno oils . Plus all the synthetics say they don't break down it the heat like the non synthetics .

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I asked about time to place probe is because I have a temp gage in my oil pan (harley brand) and I am always amazed at how fast these bikes cool down once the engine is shut down, I may be 230 degrees and within 1 minute after shut down the oil temp drops by 20 degrees.

I feal your pain. However, here in Hot-lanta this happens often. I've been looking into getting an oil cooler.

I thought I'd post this for others to see . Two days ago when I left work it was 106 degrees , now I onlt have a 12 mile ride home but when I got to the edge of town I was stuck at a traffic light for abou 3 min. but it seemed like forever . Then from there it's only a mile or so to my house at 35 mph. When I pulled in the garage I decide to check the oil temp to see how hot it got . I have a very accurate Rochester probe type gauge that I just drop in the oil tank , much to my surprise it only went up to 230 degrees . I'm running Mobile 1 v-twin so I'm sold on it's one of the best you can use . When I was riding home it felt like I was riding in an oven .

Great point!
My Dyna is cable pull throttle with no cruise control. So I have to use the SEST to turn it On/Off. Different for the TBW bikes w/ cruise. I am told you can request the dealer to turn it on & off 1 time without any charge.

It is a great way to know your heading into the meltdown zone. Jugs are near 300*F when it kicks in. I don't think the feature does much to save the front cylinder from possible piston ring de-tension. But it gives you a heads up.

Back