free website stats program Headlight Trim Ring Rattle Solved | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight Trim Ring Rattle Solved

SoonerSoftail

From what I've read many of us have an issue with the trim on the 7" headlight trim rings rattling. Mine did from day one. Last summer I put on eyebrow trim rings and it was worse. Not any more! I bought a 7 1/2" ID, 3/32" width o-ring. Remove trim ring, place o-ring on housing where back of trim ring meets housing, (I had to remove the two little rubber things from the tabs that hold the top of the headlight on, the o-ring makes up for the space), install trim ring. The o-ring is now sandwiched between the trim ring and the housing. Silence at last.

SoonerSoftail...great job, improvisation is truly the DIYer creedo...and welcome to free membership to a pretty exclusive/elusive underground club. :cheers

Bet it looks way better than duct tape too!

That it does.

Which reminds me of something totally off the topic. I drove down the street the other day next to an old Toyota that was completely covered with duct tape. Nicely done for duct tape I might add. It was black with a wide red stripe all the way down the middle. All in duct tape.

I used clear silicone on my Heritage. May be a bear to get off but she don't rattle anymore. Good idea on the O-ring.

Back