free website stats program HD project support | Harley Davidson Forums

HD project support

daled

hello, newbe here with a left field question(s)

i have a project car (58 Fiat 600) that i would like to use a HD engine in.
I would need to couple an engine to a transaxle and mount in the rear of the car. (not planning on using the HD trans.)

I know that a typical dry plate clutch will put a side thrust on the crank but i don't know if any HD engine will tolerate this. I can design and fabricate an externial thrust bearing and tranny adaptor, but I can find precious little detail at this level.

I would like to purchase a "dead" engine for my mock-up efforts, But im not sure witch one. I expect to fan cool in the engine bay. and would like 1200cc or larger.

Q1. ever seen somthing similar done ?
Q2. What engine would be best suited for mods / enviroment ?
Q3. Can the engines be used "stand alone" or are they dependant on the tranny ot be functional ?

Q1: Yes, I have seen tractor pull type lawn mowers with HD engines and I think there's a stock car class that uses HD engines (legends?).
Q2: Shovelhead would be cheapest engine, Evolution probably easiest to get a bazillion parts for and very reliable.
Q3:"Big Twin" engines operate independantly from a trans. Sportster engines have integral trans.

Opinion 1: That would be a SWEET sounding Fiat!!

Many years ago I remember reading a article, in I think it was popular Mechanics , this was done with a 1/4 midget racer ,if I remember it was done with a Indian 80'' engine or 74'' panhead long time ago but they did race it , Sounds like one of those Jesse James projects ,good luck

ok, a little more focus.
Breeze3at-ill check into the legends - but ill bet they use the HD tranny.
Cost is always an issue - but wont be the driver here.

Q1 what engine family is the most tolerant to heat ( motor will be in an engine bay in the back end of the car ) PRIMARY WORRY !!!

Q2. what kind of cost am i looking at to purchase a "dead shell of a motor" to mochup with (if even possiable)

Thanks all so far..

SPOT ON, FRODO

thanks,
looks like a B twin-cam $? and a $2,200 adaptor, means i wont have to create one myself...

super excited-just thinking about the HD cadance pounding out of the little 600.

so what can i expect to pay for a "B" twin-cam,

ok, ive been looking around, and man its hard to find a dead motor core.
used motors on ebay are out there, but i don't want to invest that amout of cash until i have mocked up the drive line to confirm that i will like the results.

oh well, its just hurdle one of many im sure.

Back