free website stats program HD Backrest for Touring Models | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Backrest for Touring Models

TQ - you have an '03 UC and you waited until now to add a backrest? Man, what were you waiting for? :p I don't see how anyone can ride significant distances without a backrest and highway pegs.

to all --- does the driver's backrest tend to make it more difficult for the lady passenger to get on and off???? it looks like it would naturally. if so, is that something she would get used to and not be a bother?

thanks
Bill (wanting to get a backrest)

=================================================

TQ --- great post!!! - really like all the pix you sent along.

Thanks
Bill
Actually the first time my wife and I went for a ride on my Ultra I left the backrest on and it was a tight fit for her. In fact, it is bent a bit from that very first time and is now difficult to lock in place when I add or remove it. Now when we go for a ride I simple remove it and lean on her! She is also a good head rest! :p

I noticed the TFI that you have installed under the tank. Are you really happy with it? I hear so much about them that I am strongly considering getting one to reduce the darn decel popping that I get.

Unfortunately, I did the download when I did Stage 1. So when I did the roller chain conversion with new cams, I did not need to have any more fuel. But I have the TFI installed in the event of any further changes I might make that does need more fuel. Right now it is set NOT to add any fuel.

to all --- does the driver's backrest tend to make it more difficult for the lady passenger to get on and off???? it looks like it would naturally. if so, is that something she would get used to and not be a bother?

Folds forward as necessary when held to allow passenger on/off and then returns upright when released.

TQ

I am almost always 2 up. My wife actually likes it as it gives her a place to rest her hands and keeps her from sliding up on hard stops. I did modify the adjustment knob as I mentioned previously. She did not like that the first time she got on, but after I got rid of that she was happy.

I have the fixed mount back rest on my 09 ultra and love it. Will not ever own a bike without a backrest. I would guess the adjustable is even nicer than the fixed. I have heard from some friends that once you get the adjustable one set correctly you don't move it often.

TQuentin1 - nice post with pictures!

I have an '09 UC with this ADJ BR installed, and NOW I need to add the Psgr Grab Rails to appease my little Mrs. because of some precious 6YO female cargo that likes to ride with me, since I no longer have that strap.

I see that you have the GR's installed - you encounter any issues? Should I be aware of anything? I need to order these HD-Grab Rails and I want to make sure the fit will be ok.

My ONLY concern is that your bike and my bike have different frames...
if you have any info I would love to hear it.

Thank you!

TQuentin1 - nice post with pictures!

I have an '09 UC with this ADJ BR installed, and NOW I need to add the Psgr Grab Rails to appease my little Mrs. because of some precious 6YO female cargo that likes to ride with me, since I no longer have that strap.

I see that you have the GR's installed - you encounter any issues? Should I be aware of anything? I need to order these HD-Grab Rails and I want to make sure the fit will be ok.

My ONLY concern is that your bike and my bike have different frames...
if you have any info I would love to hear it.

Thank you!

Posted the response to this over here:

Grab Rails and H-D Adj Backrest, Fit Ok? - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks for the pictures. I was told by my dealer that a backrest couldn't be used with passenger grab rails, but I see you have them on your bike. Was there any problem installing the back rest because of the passenger grab rails?

Thanks for the pictures. I was told by my dealer that a backrest couldn't be used with passenger grab rails, but I see you have them on your bike. Was there any problem installing the back rest because of the passenger grab rails?

Your Dealership may be right. The instructions that come with this stuff only talk through the '08s. I would check fitment on the HD site:

Shop for Parts & Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

My look says the kit for '09 and later is:

52596-09A

Don't know what the difference is. Attached are my instructions.

TQ

Attachments

• Adjustable Backrest Mounting Hardware and Backrest Instructions-Bagger-low res.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Folds forward as necessary when held to allow passenger on/off and then returns upright when released.

TQ[/QUOTE]
Thanks TQ - good information

I am almost always 2 up. My wife actually likes it as it gives her a place to rest her hands and keeps her from sliding up on hard stops. I did modify the adjustment knob as I mentioned previously. She did not like that the first time she got on, but after I got rid of that she was happy.

Thanks Mattman - I think this info was very helpful indeed.

Billbo

Back