free website stats program Having troubles installing a softail haritage speedometer | Harley Davidson Forums

Having troubles installing a softail haritage speedometer

nivez

Hey you all.

I have bought a HD Softail Haritage 2010 and i had to swith the speedometer from mph to kph. I bought the original HD speedometer model 7090071 combination tech aluminum.

the gauge works great but the lcd screen writes "vin error" and dont work.

i noticed that the cable i got is different from the mph one and has only 3 pins and not 6.

what can i do?

i really want to make it work. thanks.

The reason you are getting error message is when a electronic speedo is installed in bike the MOCO has to burn mileage into new speedo and crosses that mileage to the vin of the bike that is getting speedo installed.
You can not just swap out speedo from another bike which seems like that is what you are trying to do...
The error message is that the ECM in bike does not recognize speedo being installed.

Thank you. I understand.

so if i get it, i nedd to ride some more kilometers and the gauge will automatically adjust it??

I have to go to the HD dealer here?

I can't unplug the battery and just reset the speedometer?

it needs the hd dealer computer to adjust?

The speedometer is new from the box. i don't swap between used speedometers .

I have to go to the HD dealer here?

I can't unplug the battery and just reset the speedometer?

it needs the hd dealer computer to adjust?

When a speedo is purchased new from MOCO, the MOCO burns in mileage from the attached odometer reading form that is sent with the order. It is to prevent speedo tampering.. Also the mileage is coded to VIN so no other speedo will work except for the one that belongs to VIN of your bike. The ECM stores mileage in its memory...
You will have to go to dealer and have them fill out mileage form and send speedo to MOCO to get mileage burnt into new speedo.

When a speedo is purchased new from MOCO, the MOCO burns in mileage from the attached odometer reading form that is sent with the order. It is to prevent speedo tampering.. Also the mileage is coded to VIN so no other speedo will work except for the one that belongs to VIN of your bike. The ECM stores mileage in its memory...
You will have to go to dealer and have them fill out mileage form and send speedo to MOCO to get mileage burnt into new speedo.

This is not something Harley Davidson decided to do on their own to get additional $$ out of our pockets. It all has to do with laws and such trying to slow down thieves, dishonest dealers and such.

Sorry guys but I got a new speedo/tach combo (went from MPH (20,000) to KPH (0) Wrote old mileage on the bottom of the unit) plugged it in and no troubles, yes it was a new unit from HD, got it in the states and shipped over, cheaper then HD here.

Sorry guys but I got a new speedo/tach combo (went from MPH (20,000) to KPH (0) Wrote old mileage on the bottom of the unit) plugged it in and no troubles, yes it was a new unit from HD, got it in the states and shipped over, cheaper then HD here.

There probably was electronic updates to 2010 bikes especially with ECM, which is preventing swap from working as you have done on your 2009..

'07 was the last year this was necessary. 7090071 will not work on an '07

Mine quit at 26000 miles and all I had to do is tell Harley customer service my mileage and they sent me a new one through the dealer with the proper odometer setting.

'08 up has the mileage stored and is supposed to adjust the odometer automatically.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• IMG_1291 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1291 (Medium).JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
Back