free website stats program Having electrical problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Having electrical problems

Glider's statement about the negative batt lead off first and on last is good practice. If you don't follow it; you will eventually let the magic smoke out of the electrics and make yourself unhappy.

Plus one on that, the reason you need to take the neg off FIRST is that the electron current flow runs from neg to pos. So if you take the pos off first and let it hit a ground then you have destructive current flow quickly.

You can still get a spark even taking the neg cable off first IF you dont move it away quick and clean, But as soon as the neg cable is moved away from the battery all possible current flow is stopped at the neg terminal of the battery.

I always put masking tape over my neg terminal just in cast the cable (or something else) happens to get knocked back into the terminal. One of my most exciting moments was once on a car battery I dropped a wrench across both battery posts. I had to knock it loose it got so hot so quick.

Good points R W B but the reason behind why I mentioned that is if you try to remove the POS first and the wrench hits the frame or other grounded part of the bike, the resulting short could actually damage or explode the battery.
By removing the NEG first, it opens the circuit to the battery so if by chance you do contact the wrench to ground when removing the POS connection, there's no path for the current and you are safe. Same in reverse when reinstalling the connections.

I had a similar experience with dropping a ratchet extension and it contacted the two posts together and this was the older battery with individual filler caps. The short caused one of the caps to get launched like a bullet and dented the underside of the hood. Glad my face wasn't over the battery.

Wow! Letting the magic acid out is worse than letting the magic smoke out.

Saw that happen to Puerto Rican cab driver in San Juan trying to give a jump start to a fellow cabbie. He had to be hauled off by EMS.

Good points R W B but the reason behind why I mentioned that is if you try to remove the POS first and the wrench hits the frame or other grounded part of the bike, the resulting short could actually damage or explode the battery. .. .. ... .

I knew what you meant, but yes that scenario would also be in addition to my "have destructive current flow quickly" and "One of my most exciting moments".

I have checked the fuses and the relays and do not see any rust on the connectors. I can push start it and it will run but still do not have turn signals, gauges, or radio. I am getting power to the fuse panel. If it is the switch would my headlight turn on? I have looked for loose connectioins and wires in the fairing behind the headlight which is where the fuse panel is. It has me really confused.

Have you had the bike in for service recently or anyone had the need to remove or separate any connectors?

Try turning everything on and then just sligthly moving the wiring around (if you can get at it). From moderate movement to very slight pressure on the wiring harness. See if anything flickers.

Is there a way to check the switch to see if it is bad? it is in the fairing, I know that it would not be simple to check or replace. Before it went I would have to move the switch all the way to accessory then back to on for everything come on.

Back