free website stats program Have I opened a can of worms? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Have I opened a can of worms?

What is your opinion of putting in some light cams like Andrews 21 or 26, when doing the tensioners?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Again, if you open the engine up for anything other than routine maintenance (chain tensioners etc), you are altering the platform and can have problems down the road. JMHO.

If you like the bike sit down and write it all out on two separate sheets of paper to compare you costs to a new purchase.

I like the bike, but I realize now that it has "shortcomings" that can't economically solved. I ride approx almost 5 to 1 miles (6 bike-1 car 17K bike, less than 4K car in the same year) and wouldn't drive a car again if I didn't have to. Ray Price H-D in Raleigh (approx 90 miles from Greensboro) has come up with the best deal so far, but it's still more than my comfort zone will permit. I'll give it another try in Jan/Feb/Mar to see what kind of deal I can swing then. If no-go, I'll try again late spring/summer.

One of my major concerns is that I've had the bike 16 months. It had 34K when I got it. I've put almost 22K in 16 months (55,800 on the odom now). At my present rate, I'll be waaaaay over 100K well before my last payment in 3 1/2 years. At this rate, I'll have prob just about rebuilt or will be rebuilding it when I make my last payment and then I'll have more $$$ into the rest of the "wear out" repair/replace maint. If I'm going to be spending this kind of $$$, it might as well be on something that has ALL the things I want.

The bike ran great with just the stage 1 stuff done, I guess the cams were a small dose of my "early mid-life crisis" (plus I never really wanted a Vette or Porsche) LOL. Hindsight being 20/20, I have to admit that Glider is right and IF/WHEN I get my RG, the only changes (performance wise) will be the stage 1 things. Tracy

Your not alone, within 1 month my buddy replaced the following on his 07 FatBoy.
Fork Seals, Voltage Regulator,Stator, Front and Rear Wheel Bearings,Both Tires,Front Driving Lights(shorted out inside lights). The cam shoes haven't been checked yet but, he's knows that's next. All this at 58,000 miles.
wilks3

Your not alone, within 1 month my buddy replaced the following on his 07 FatBoy.
Fork Seals, Voltage Regulator,Stator, Front and Rear Wheel Bearings,Both Tires,Front Driving Lights(shorted out inside lights). The cam shoes haven't been checked yet but, he's knows that's next. All this at 58,000 miles.
wilks3

What's his total $$$$$$ expenditures for those repairs? With this exhaust leak, mine will go over $4K.

I have been thinking about doing a stage 1, A/C and slipons but after reading all of this I think I will leave my bike stock, especially since my dealer recently closed its doors. I have the extended warranty and hope it would cover a lot of the major repairs mentioned here. It is my understanding that any type of modifications could void your warranty..

I have been thinking about doing a stage 1, A/C and slipons but after reading all of this I think I will leave my bike stock, especially since my dealer recently closed its doors. I have the extended warranty and hope it would cover a lot of the major repairs mentioned here. It is my understanding that any type of modifications could void your warranty..

You should be ok with Stage One. I've seen some weird dealers in my experience but never heard of one that would void the warranty for slip ons and AC. Anybody else ?

Glider is absolutely correct about the engines stay reliable until you open them up and put in performance parts. You push the engine past what it was designed to do. Harley does not build engines for higher performance. The road captain in the HOG group I ride with never ever changes a thing on a twin cam. He has never had a problem. Those who have put a lot of performace goodies in have had the problems. If you want to play then you will pay.

I agree with Glider. Stick with a stage 1 upgrade only and the bike will perform flawlessly for years. But, as soon as you start trying to redesign the engine to do something it's not originally designed for and you're possibly buying trouble. Besides, how much power do you really need? My stage 1 96 cu in Ultra has plenty of power to scare the "you know what" outta me!!

Nothing wrong with upgrading engine parts as long as you stay with proven, known reliable combinations. My previous three Harleys were left stock and never had a problem. My current Electraglide was upgraded to the Stage II kit and there is no looking back.

The Motor Company offers many such kits and for very reasonable prices to boot. Thats why I went with the Screamin Eagle Stage II kit when I upgraded my 96" to 103". A proven reliable combination with an equally reasonable price directly from the Motor Company so you know the engineering has been done.

7 more cubic inches is pretty small displacement increase in the grand scheme of things but the SE255 cams really woke the beast up. 96" was fine for regular round-town riding but two up loaded was a bit sluggish. With the Stage II kit, my motorcycle plain hauls donkeys (or burrows or what ever those little horsies are)

I figure the bottom end of the twin cam motor is plenty strong enough for a bit more power and the only place I have ever heard of twisted cranks is here on the good ol internet.

My 103" has also has manual compression releases which did wonders for the starter kick-back (still using the original stock compensator along with stock everything else at 40,000 kms with no problems)

The one part of the equation open for debate is the skill level of some Harley technicians out there who are calling themselves mechanics. There are a lot of people out there in different shops who are working flat rate and may or may not have the required skills to do a good job.

As a journeyman automotive mechanic, I have the tools and the skills to do the job right. I would not necessarily trust my beloved Electra-glide to the nice kid with good intentions down at the local dealership especially when they can't even change my tire without leaving scratches all over my rim.

That being said, if you know a shop you can trust, or have the skills and ability to do the job yourself, don't be afraid to open up your engine and add a little more power. The investment is well worth it if done right but remember that you have to do the total package (mechanicals as well as upgraded fuel management) to ensure that you get the most out of your mods.

If you are gonna have a shop do the work, schedule it for mid-winter when they are more likely to take their time and do it right versus middle of August when 20 other customer are lined up and whining cause they all want their motorcylces fixed yesterday.

Not gonna be cheap to do the job properly when all is said and done but as the old saying goes, most of my money was spent on booze and motorcycles. The rest I just wasted...

Back