free website stats program Harley Speed Wobble, Tank Slap, also known as the Death Wobble | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Speed Wobble, Tank Slap, also known as the Death Wobble

What is the formula? (I have not heard this before).

I dont know any formula for determining correct tyre pressure but i do no that the difference in pressure between a cold tyre and a hot tyre should be around 4 psi
most of the heat generated in a tyre is by sidewall flexing as the heat rises then the pressure in the tyre rises
so more than 4 psi higher on a hot tyre = too much flexing so cold pressure is too low
less than 4 psi higher on hot pressure no sidewall flexing cold pressure to high

Hope this helps

Brian

I dont know any formula for determining correct tyre pressure but i do no that the difference in pressure between a cold tyre and a hot tyre should be around 4 psi
most of the heat generated in a tyre is by sidewall flexing as the heat rises then the pressure in the tyre rises
so more than 4 psi higher on a hot tyre = too much flexing so cold pressure is too low
less than 4 psi higher on hot pressure no sidewall flexing cold pressure to high

Hope this helps

Brian

Used to be 10 per cent if tire was suppose to be say 30 psi when hot it would read 10 per cent higher, always check them cold and use manufacturers pressures

Used to be 10 per cent if tire was suppose to be say 30 psi when hot it would read 10 per cent higher, always check them cold and use manufacturers pressures

Jack 10% would make sense for me as my factory recommended are 35 and 40 thanks for that confirmation of how i do things i sometimes wonder where i get some of the info that i use but it was so long ago i cant remember but if stuff works i just keep doing it

Brian

I'v been down three times now and hope to never go down again but not with the wobble. I was following a trooper a few years ago just to see howfast he was going. Level ground with slight left hand turn over about 1 mile, my front end startes to wobble and I realized my bags were floating. I eased off and it leaveled out without any problems. I have to figure it was because the weight was uneaven.
My bike then was a V-Star 650 with a windshield and possibly a slight flat spot on the rear tire. I had progressive springs in the front to promote contact on rough roads. A nice ride when it was not in the shop.
Sorry for your loss. Hope this helps.

What is the formula for tire pressure?
Easy look in your owner manual any thing else in risky.

That is only good if you have stock tyres fitted otherwise consult the tyre manufacturer for the correct pressure for that tyre type and your bike

Brian

Aye the max tyre pressure is the pressure that should not be exceeded and not the pressure to run the tyre at
i am aware that Metzler recommend that their tyres are run at a higher pressure than the stock dunlops
Although the dunlop d 402 are a fair tyre in warm dry conditions i find that the grip in colder wetter conditions could be better i have therefore replaced my tyres with Avon venom tyres but would also consider me 880 as both have a higher silica content which should improve both wet grip and grip in sub 8*c temperatures
Both of these manufacturers have tyres suitable for use on a verity of hd motorcycles and have their own recommended pressures for that particular application

Brian

Thanks for all the great information. I am a new owner of an 01 Road King Classic and having it wobble in a turn might have caused a litte panic. My 05 Goldwing would wobble every now and then when you let off the throttle at low speeds. I would just give it a little more gas or muscle it till it stopped,but it never did while cornering. I will have to find a safety class to attend and find out how many bad habits i have aquired.

How does one determine the correct psi to inflate their tires? :panic

1st Inflate your tire to factory recommendations.

2nd Thoroughly warm them up (about a 1 hr. ride)

3rd ck. the heated tire pressure, it should be
between 4 to 6 lbs. above installed pressure.

If it is higher than 4 to 6 lbs.you started with too low a pressure.
Adjust accordingly.

If it is lower than 4 to 6 lbs.you started with too high of a pressure.
Adjust accordingly.

So through a little trial & error, you will arrive at the proper tire Inflation
for your application. Which will give you,

A-Better performance

B-Longer Tire Life

C-Better fuel mileage

Tire Inflation pressure should be checked at regular intervals
and in the morning at the temperature at which it will be driven.

Every week, or more often when temperatures are making
large swings like in the seasonal changes.
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter !:hii

Back