free website stats program Harley oil pressure kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley oil pressure kit

Heck52

Any opinions on the Harley oil pressure kit? In lite of the crank issue and for general peace of mind I think i'm going to install one. FXDC 2010. Although my bike is completely stock and will stay that way except for some Rush 1.75 pipes i shouldn't have any crank problems. I did read a thread on a different forum that the guy had a flashing oil light at idle when he got back from a long trip. The next day the light stayed on. I think he only lost the crank and pump. He got lucky. Anyway haven't heard good or bad about the gauge kit.

I looked at the kit last year the line is plastic didnt leave a lot of faith in it nor did the HD parts guy like it .. you can get a braided and coated stainless flex line which will be better

Thanks, I was not liking the plastic line either. Money to rush pipes, money to rush pipes. Forget the crank!!!!! If she goes, she goes.

there ya go ride it like ya stole it.. as long as you are not banging it off the rev limiter all the time or missing shifts esp downshifts should be fine.. besides 09 and up cranks are supposed to be better than the 07-08 where this problem occurred

IMHO, an oil pressure gauge is just something for you look at and worry about. Is it too high? Is it too low? "Man, it looks lower than it was when I rode yesterday." "Why is it so low when it's hot and I'm sitting at a stoplight?" After a while, you'll be wondering if the gauge is bad. Or you'll just stop looking at it all together.

I like the oil pressure light myself. That what I use on all race/trackday bikes. That's all my Harley's have, including the Shovelhead. To me, pressure gauges are more for troubleshooting or maintenance checks.

It's kinda like the temperature dipsticks. Is it cool to look at? Yep, but it's basically useless.

As for the idea that the pressure switch could go out, or the light not work... The same is true for gauges. I've seen them "spun" past the peg, making them useless. I've seen 'em fail.

So to each, his own...

I RAN THE HD OIL GAUGE WITH THE NICE HEAVY CHROME BRACKET...

IT MOUNTED ON TOP REAR VALVE ROCKER COVER.

IT INSTALLED IT WITH THE STOCK PLASTIC OIL LINE AND A HEAT SHIELD TUBE... ALL CAME IN THE KIT.....

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IN THE 9 YRS ON MY BIKE , A 2000 FXDS

I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THIS UNIT AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT.

I PUT 117000 MILES ON THAT BIKE AND WENT THRU 3 DIFFERENT MOTOR REBUILDS-+ A 6 SPEED TRANNY- FEULING OIL PUMP,, BUT USED THE SAME GAUGE ALL THOSE YEARS....

LOOKED AS NEW AS DAY ONE... GOOD HEAVY CHROME ON MINE..

HOPE THEY ARE MADE THE SAME TODAY...

I LEFT THE PRESSURE-LIGHT SWITCH HOOKED UP AND HAD BOTH WORLDS.

I LIKED THE LOOKS AND I DID USE THE GAUGE... SEEING THE PRESSURE UP KEPT ME HAPPY.

signed....BUBBIE

I look at a better gauge through Denniskirk, a Ness gauge. It was 2 thirds the price of a set of Rush pipes. I think Sleddog is right. One more thing to worry about. Live long and ride hard!!! Noise is safety!!!

Back