free website stats program Harley Heat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Heat

Hey thanks for the very informative posts. I really appreciate it.

I think I will inevitably pay the HD 'tax' at some point ! If not only for the extra noise. Some very interesting comments on this subject though, and after doing some reading on the net it does seem like a bit of a hot topic (pardon the pun). I'm of the opinion that these engines must have been rigorously tested (or one would hope so), before they are released on the market ? I know air cooled engines have been around for donkeys years. I just find it a bit strange that there is nothing in the owners manual about shutting the motor down when stood in traffic, which ultimately leads me to believe that HD must be confident that the motor is unbreakable when left idling for any period of time ??

Any how, once again many thanks for the replies and a fantastic forum.... Cheers !!!!

Hey thanks for the very informative posts. I really appreciate it.

I think I will inevitably pay the HD 'tax' at some point ! If not only for the extra noise. Some very interesting comments on this subject though, and after doing some reading on the net it does seem like a bit of a hot topic (pardon the pun). I'm of the opinion that these engines must have been rigorously tested (or one would hope so), before they are released on the market ? I know air cooled engines have been around for donkeys years. I just find it a bit strange that there is nothing in the owners manual about shutting the motor down when stood in traffic, which ultimately leads me to believe that HD must be confident that the motor is unbreakable when left idling for any period of time ??

Any how, once again many thanks for the replies and a fantastic forum.... Cheers !!!!

The early owners manual did not mention the fact that the cam chain tensioners could fail catastrophically, without notice and could grenade the motor. However, it happened to many and still happens to owners of low mileage pre '07 models that are unaware of the potential harm that can come from not checking the tensioners every 10K-12K miles and replacing when they are 50% worn.

So, don't place your trust in the MoCo and what is in the Owners manual. Trust me on this, synthetic oil starts to break down at 250* and by the time oil temps hit 300*, the oil is no good and should be changed. That is what will damage the motor; continuing to run on oil with diminished lubricating capacity. If you know your motor is running at 250* or more, you should be changing oil at 2500 mile intervals; even if the oil is synthetic.

I would also suggest that you start taking steps to cool yourself, your passenger and your motor down ASAP; just the smart thing to do. Placing your trust in the MoCo and what is in the Owner's manual is misguided.:small3d023:

I've also seen a company with fans called Love Jugs. They look like a good product but I don't know anyone who has had them installed. Anyone else know about these?

Ive had my engine very hot in traffic situations where it would crack and snap. Maybe Im fortunate but I change oil at 5000 miles and haven't had any engine problems. my one bike is an 02 tc88 with 50000 miles and cam chain tensioners still look good. No oil cooler or fans installed. I just ride it like it was intended to be ridden

Ive had my engine very hot in traffic situations where it would crack and snap. Maybe Im fortunate but I change oil at 5000 miles and haven't had any engine problems. my one bike is an 02 tc88 with 50000 miles and cam chain tensioners still look good. No oil cooler or fans installed. I just ride it like it was intended to be ridden

You are fortunate so knock on wood and keep your fingers crossed. There are many like you; however, that doesn't change the fact that those early tensioners can fail catastrophically without warning and grenade a motor. You would be wise to upgrade or replace the OEM tensioners; just the smart thing to do. Cheap to do, easy DIY project and insurance that you will see 100K trouble free miles from that motor. One of my bikes is a 2002 FLHT, a very solid year but for the cam chain tensioners; mine were gone at 25K miles but caught before total failure.

The effect of over heating the motor is less dramatic and depends on how often the oil temps see 250* or more. Long term effects are loss of lubrication and ring tension. Doesn't mean you won't get 100K miles out of the motor but does mean the performance will slowly deteriorate and, most likely, you will not notice unless you get on a lower mileage bike with less wear and tear.

Hi there. Thanks again for the replies.

It seems very bizarre to me (and an absolute rip off), that you spend so much money on a bike and then have to think about doing modifications to it in order to prevent the engine blowing up or over heating !!!??????

Talking of the cam chain tensioners, is this just a problem on the older models, or is it inherent on the new ones aswell ? Mine is the 2013 fat boy with the 1690 engine which is about to melt and blow !!!!!!!:small3d008:

Cheers !!

Hi there. Thanks again for the replies.

It seems very bizarre to me (and an absolute rip off), that you spend so much money on a bike and then have to think about doing modifications to it in order to prevent the engine blowing up or over heating !!!??????

Talking of the cam chain tensioners, is this just a problem on the older models, or is it inherent on the new ones aswell ? Mine is the 2013 fat boy with the 1690 engine which is about to melt and blow !!!!!!!:small3d008:

Cheers !!

No worries the late model cam chain tensioners; they are under oil pressure, not the heavy spring pressure of the early tensioners and are made of a different material.

You have been provided with ways to cool your motor down and should start taking steps to do so. The motor won't "melt and blow" but you can increase rider comfort and make the motor "happy" by taking some of the steps provided in previous posts to cool the motor down.:s

Yes I get you. I think I am going to go for the stage 1 for sure. I also like the look of those fans. The only problem with ordering them is the fact that I will get ripped off with import tax big time !!!!!!!!

Yes I get you. I think I am going to go for the stage 1 for sure. I also like the look of those fans. The only problem with ordering them is the fact that I will get ripped off with import tax big time !!!!!!!!

Have a forum member buy them for you and send them over via postal service.:s

Stage I is good first step but it should be accompanied by a fuel management system. You can go from basic fueler like Dobeck TFI which several forum members have used with success; a DIY install and tune. Or spend more money and opt for a more sophisticated system like Dynojet Powervision or TTS Mastertune which will require a dyno tune. So the availability of a reputable tuner will likely be a factor in making that choice.

Back