free website stats program Harley Evo battery charging issues! | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Evo battery charging issues!

SE6A

I have a 99 evo, that has developed a battery charging issue.
I tested the output from the stator which is good, inserting my meter test prongs in the plug holes from the stator.
I was advised it was the voltage regulator, so got a new one, and fitted it, but no luck.

it seems to me from the voltage tester that if the prongs were not inserted fully it doesnt read, and I think the plugs on the new voltage regulator just are not reaching fully.
obviously these are the same length as the old one, has anyone had this issue before?

if not, then a Stator replacement I guess!

Not an uncommon problem for Evo's. The original fix was installing a wire or metal "keeper" that attached to the case, and applied constant pressure to the V.R. plug. I believe they are still available in mcy. catalogs, cheap. I fixed my problem by carefully slicing about 1/16" from the case side (female) plug so the pins would go in further. I have also fixed a couple by either squeezing the female sockets tighter with pliers, or adding a shim to the hole. With the age of an Evo, the plug may be very hard and brittle preventing the above. I also know of several fixes that involve removing the outer primary, cutting the wires and substituting a different plug altogether. Then, the problem is making an oil tight seal with the case.

This is the type i have on both evo big twins to stop the stator plug coming loose
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stator-P...h=item363bffe31b:g:JB4AAOSwBbJbo5D2:rk:1:pf:0

Brian
Thanks , i will try that for the future.
I ended up draining the oil from the primary, the burnt oil smell was very strong, garage evicted for a while!
I have a feeling its the stator, so removed the case too.
May as well go all the way and replace it now.

Did you measure the original prong lengths to see if they match the new ones length?
Yes...same, cheers

This is the type i have on both evo big twins to stop the stator plug coming loose
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stator-P...h=item363bffe31b:g:JB4AAOSwBbJbo5D2:rk:1:pf:0

Brian
Cheers Brian,will get one for future.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a strong smell from the primary, your stator is burned up.

yes, a really strong burnt smell, interesting, when the tester prongs were inserted, there was some current being produced.
I also put the test on audible bleep and with one prong down one of the holes and the other on an outer engine bolt, there was a sound, so the stator faulty that way, now looking for a large socket!...cheers,

Best you get the compensator nut hot before you try and remove it dull red is hot enough to melt the loctite to get it moving

Brian

Best you get the compensator nut hot before you try and remove it dull red is hot enough to melt the loctite to get it moving

Brian
cheers Brian, I have a small blowtorch at the ready, along with a large socket and a long bar, might try it tonight.

Back