free website stats program "Harley Elbow"? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Harley Elbow"?

The Kawasucki Sobad I traded in on my FLHTC made me stretch my arms out straight and caused me to have back/shoulder pain in only a few miles. The Glide seems to be just about perfect. I tend to sit up very straight and my arms are slightly bent at the elbows. One thing about H-D, if the bike don't fit you they can make it fit.

Storm

On my old Kawasaki, I could not ride more than 40 mins without pain in my shoulders and neck. Got the Road Glide, no more problems.

I have CTS and the elbow thingee...well I used to have... I should say...I installed the 9' rise Harley Mini apes...Coz I also wanted to put some of the wiring in the bars. I'm 62 and 5'9"...they along with a few other things like cruise and the e-z clutch I'm now very comfortable...Good Luck! btw..caution..they are 1 1/4 inch in diameter. Sorry! not sure of the part number.

I would try adjusting the bars first, you have to go in through the headlamp to get the nacelle off of the bar clamps. I bought the service manual and read how to do it.
Dealer would not touch it with out the standard labor rate, takes about 30-45 minutes to accomplish for a first timer.
I have the pull back beach bars that come on the Road King Custom, and they are alot more comfortable now.
I notice this elbow thing also, but mine goes away when I am riding, maybe it is that "calling thing" they always talk about. Good luck.

My experience of these kinds of aches and pains is that they are in large part a result of my aging body and declining muscle mass. (I'm pushing 60.) I've had several similar problems, e.g., "briefcase elbow." In every case, fixing the biomechanical problem was NOT sufficient. What did work was getting back to the gym and lifting weights to strengthen the muscles around the affected joint. I'm not talking about becoming Arnold...just getting back the strength and tone that should be there.

I've spent a fair amount of time discussing this with orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists, and personal trainers. The consensus view tends to concur with my observations.

Hope this helps!

I agree.. Exercise is the key. Nothing too heavy though. 12 to 16 oz. is about right with lot's of reps. Works every time.:p

I talked to several people about this on another forum and someone gave me some good advice,
Keep your bars ajusted so your knuckles are allways pointing forward into the wind,If the bars have your knuckles twisted to the right its going to put the musule in a strain causing elbow pain.My 2cent

Back