free website stats program harley davidson Tach 74723-10 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

harley davidson Tach 74723-10

Are they easy to install?
I'd like to do it my self if I can. Not that I am cheep, but lately every time I let the dealer touch my bike, it comes back with new little scratches...

Installation?Absolute piece of cake.

I think the instructions say about 10 minutes;I say take 15 and do it carefully with regard for your paintwork.
On the Softails-and more than likely yours too-you just undo the Acorn nut and gently remove the speedo console.Put LOTS of rags/towels/cloth over the tank,turn the console upside down and disconnect a couple of leads and the plastic ring that holds the speedo in place.

When you put it all back together MAKE SURE you lubricate the round rubber seal that sits around the actual speedo itself;it make it SO much easier to slide and manoeuvure the speedo back in.If you don't lube it,it binds and twists and bunches and pulls out and makes the job more frustrating.

It really IS just unplug and plug.The thing comes with instructions included;have a read before you attempt it and you'll be fine.

Bought it, installed it, love it... The Tach is just as easy to see as my old speedo and the new digital seepdo is easier to see than the old one.

One issue. How long does it tale for the low fuel warning to calibrate itself? The low fuel light is always on and I have gone about 100 miles and refilled the tank twice??

One issue. How long does it tale for the low fuel warning to calibrate itself? The low fuel light is always on and I have gone about 100 miles and refilled the tank twice??

Did it come with any instructions that addressed this calibration issue?

Is it possible that during the installation, a wire got pinched or shorted/grounded which is causing the light to stay on continuously?

I'm not good at all with electrical stuff so that's all I can come up with.

Did it come with any instructions that addressed this calibration issue?

Is it possible that during the installation, a wire got pinched or shorted/grounded which is causing the light to stay on continuously?

I'm not good at all with electrical stuff so that's all I can come up with.
The instructions actually states "During the consumption of the first full tank of fuel, the guage software will begin the process of learning your riding patterns, eventually tailoring the fuel range calculations to your unique riding characteristics."
I was wondering how long it took for other folks that got the same tach\speedo.

The low fuel light is always on and I have gone about 100 miles and refilled the tank twice??

Really just pulling possibilities out of thin air, but my guess would be the software needs to see the extreme swings of the float level. Since you only rode 100 miles and filled up twice, I would guess each time you filled up, you only put in a gallon of gas. That may not be enough swing for the software to pick up. (?)

Mind you, the entire process of the software learning my riding habits seems bogus to me. What does my ridding habits have to do with running low on fuel or running out of gas. Tank fill calibration should not something that is learned.
Almost sounds like "creative writing" on the part of the publication department at HD.

Really just pulling possibilities out of thin air, but my guess would be the software needs to see the extreme swings of the float level. Since you only rode 100 miles and filled up twice, I would guess each time you filled up, you only put in a gallon of gas. That may not be enough swing for the software to pick up. (?)

Mind you, the entire process of the software learning my riding habits seems bogus to me. What does my ridding habits have to do with running low on fuel or running out of gas. Tank fill calibration should not something that is learned.
Almost sounds like "creative writing" on the part of the publication department.
We'll I got 4.5 gallons on the first refill and 3.5 on the second. After the second refill I just went around the block to home. Again, just curious how long it took others.

Based on what you just said (8 gallons and a 4.5 gallon swing), I would say you float level is mechanically stuck in the low position because it should have learned by now.

But I don't own a unit like yours. Must say it is nice looking.

Back