free website stats program Harley Davidson National Openhouse | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson National Openhouse

Randall K. Wilson

Saturday I went to Indianapolis Southside Harley Davidson and Buell to the National Openhouse. As usual lots of discounts, food, and the hospitality was par excellent. I love to browse and see how folks are personalizing their cycles. I alway look for the oldest vintage bike that shows up. On this occasion it was a 1963 DuoGlide Panhead with the kickstart. This old relic was in it's original condition. Faded original light blue paint, some rust, and tattered...but running just the same. It had been updated to a 12 volt system and the battery was being carried in the left side of the old grubby leather saddle bags. The odometer was not the original and the gent who has owned it 30 years has no idea how many miles it has. I ask the owner if it was hard to kick start one of those old bikes. He told me he has had several kick start harleys and you just have to learn each one's "personality".

Saturday I went to Indianapolis Southside Harley Davidson and Buell to the National Openhouse. As usual lots of discounts, food, and the hospitality was par excellent. I love to browse and see how folks are personalizing their cycles. I alway look for the oldest vintage bike that shows up. On this occasion it was a 1963 DuoGlide Panhead with the kickstart. This old relic was in it's original condition. Faded original light blue paint, some rust, and tattered...but running just the same. It had been updated to a 12 volt system and the battery was being carried in the left side of the old grubby leather saddle bags. The odometer was not the original and the gent who has owned it 30 years has no idea how many miles it has. I ask the owner if it was hard to kick start one of those old bikes. He told me he has had several kick start harleys and you just have to learn each one's "personality".

It probably was not as hard to start as an old Triumph sequence with the "tickler", only a tad more hazardous if you kick-started it during a compression stroke kick-back, knocking you clean off...:D

It probably was not as hard to start as an old Triumph sequence with the "tickler", only a tad more hazardous if you kick-started it during a compression stroke kick-back, knocking you clean off...:D

I remember as a lad some of our neighbors having trouble getting their old pan heads started. Lots and lots of cussing would ensue:bigsmiley19:...then a lot of drinking after that.:cheers

I'm with you Smitty. I had enough. With every new bike I bought, things have gotten better and better. Without a doubt, the 07 I have now is the best I've owned, and so far, the most trouble free. No way do I want to go back to the old days and the old ways. I've had my shins gouged, and my hip jammed more times than I can count and I ain't going back!

Back