free website stats program Harley Boom Cruiser Audio on Pre-10 Dyna? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Boom Cruiser Audio on Pre-10 Dyna?

I went this route some time ago and found the wind to over ride the music so I had a custom set of ear phones made and just use a Mp3 player or small pocket radio. Works out good when one has more than one bike.

JMO...but if you want to hear them better at those speeds I would say you are going to need a windshield. Get a quick detach so you only use it when you know you are going to hit the highway.

Prior to getting my windshield I could not hear the key dangling on my bike, now I can here it and much more despite a full face helmet.

I actually have a windshield on my bike that the speakers are mounted behind. Even with all of that, it only gets to the level of about 2 people talking. As soon as I start my bike, I can't hear the radio anymore. I'm going to remove the amp and try to exchange today or tomorrow. It should be louder than it is, I hope.

Maybe you will need a speaker upgrade. Small ones of low quality will only put out so much. I went through what you are now and thats when I just started using the custom made earphones. The protect you hearing from the engine noise and wind but do not block thing out totally. + the music or radio is nice and clear.

Well, since I wanted to test with earplugs and full-face helmet I got to take two rides today :)

Well, the first ride I took I had the ear-plugs and went solo. I could hear the music a lot more as the wind-noise was killed. It was actually an overall more pleasant ride.

Second ride I wore a full-face helmet. I actually heard a little more of the music, although it still dropped out around 70. But, that full-face has Bluetooth so if I wanted to wear full face, I'd have music.

But as I sat down to compose this, I asked my wife "did you hear music when we were riding" and she said "only when we stopped".

So, there is my testing, make of it what you will. I hope I've presented information that might help others in their decision making.

I must admit I was semi-interested in finding out my dealers return policy. But, I got 20% off and my wife really wanted to get them for me as a Father's Day gift. I did enjoy music during my lunch-time ride through the countryside, so I guess they aren't totally useless. I guess if I really needed better musical enjoyment I could put my stock pipes back on too. My Cycle Shacks are LOUD!

Ok folks lets look at what we are saying here. At higher speeds less hearing capabilities, no windshield again even less hearing capabilities. Nothing is perfect. In a car windows up hear radio fine, turn AC on turn radio up a little to compensate for AC noise. Shut AC off open windows turn radio up even louder. No matter what you do nothing is perfect. Unless you are willing to build a rolling stereo system of nothing but amps and speakers to surround you then "it is what it is".
Here is a test for you. After a day of work listen to your radio on the way home and leave all the settings the same when you get home. Then pay attention to how loud the setting are the next morning after you had a peaceful night sleep. The radio should sound much louder to you. That is because your hearing has had time to re-coup itself.
My point is, nothing is perfect. With HD's new boom system set the Ipod volume as loud as you can, then adjust the volume with the Boom Audio volume control that mounts to handle bar to your desired level and enjoy the ride, but remember the more you ride during the course of the day the loss of hearing will require you to adjust the volume louder. A helmet, ear plugs and windsheild all aid in allowing you to hear the radio better as they all reduce the wind effect on your ears.
As far as earphones while riding goes I am not a big fan as they make it so you cannot hear the cars and emergency vehicles around you.
Good luck and enjoy your ride and remember we can all make our own music when we need to.

I realize the thread was more of a Dyna tech type question, but it's evolved into a bit more and for the sake of others who are curious I just wanted to update.

Anyway, it seems that after several times of using this, the speakers seemed to get louder. Not so much that it's night and day, but they seemed to "loosen up" and have fuller sound. I'm overall pretty pleased considering the reality of the fact I have very loud mufflers and major wind noise for not having a windshield and fairing.

I do love being able to listen to the music though, so it's a success in that area. I'm thinking of adding the Boom tank pouch too. I'm happy with the thumb controls too and they fit right in with my stock controls' styling. And, this may be sacrireligious in the Harley world, but I'm even considering putting my stock mufflers back on (well, one stock muffler, and getting a replacement take-off to replace the catalytic converter that takes the place of a seconds stock muffler... silly California, but that's a different subject.)

So, if the goal is to have some music, it fits the bill, but you do have to have realistic expectations. :s

I must say... it feels so good rolling down the road listening to "They call me the breeze..." :D

Back