free website stats program Harley air horn weak? | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley air horn weak?

turnerbend

Anybody ever had the Harley air horn get weak? Don't seems to blow as loud as it once did. What would be a fix other than buying a different brand?

After three air horns of different vendors, I gave up on them and went back to stock for exactly the reason you state.

Some reasons for air horn getting week could be;

Low voltage on battery, or diaphrams in horn may have material lodged in them preventing full vibration and sound, could be corroded connection terminal also?

I just recently put a set on my bike, but went with a set of howard's horns. They have diaphram end caps that are removable enabling you to clean out the diaphram chamber if needed.

Hope this may help.

I never had a HD air-horn in my hand but played with several aftermarket. The ones I installed used "rotary vane" air pumps to make the air pressure. Over time the vanes get sticky and won't seal properly. What you need to do is disconnect the output pressure tube of the pump. Then feed some Marvel Mystery oil into the input side of the pump and turn it on. Let it pump some oil. Then run it a bit to get all the oil out. Hook it back up to the horns and see if it is better.
(Don't know if you can separate the pump from the horns w/ the HD model)

Another reason for low output is not using a relay to activate the pump. Hook the pump wires directly to the battery terminals just to see if it blows any louder. If it is louder, you need the relay.

Of course check the air pressure hose for leaks.

after two women trying to back into this past weekend while I was stopped would like to know what the loudest horn there is. If I could mount truck horns I think I would . tired of the close calls, each time instead of backing straight they turned right at me. with the stock horn blaring it still took 6>8 ft for them to stop, both within 2 ft of front tire.

I needed a much louder horn. My town is right next to a major trucking center-- I ride along dozens of big diesels to & from work. I see lots of people with cars that advertised "quiet" rides, some play music to vibrate a neighborhood, and there is always someone texting. My Thunderheader pipes seemed louder than the stock horn.

I got a Rivco air horn. The compressor is mounted with the old stock cover where the engine guard connects to the front frame, under the tank. Now, everyone knows when I honk my horn.

:44:

after two women trying to back into this past weekend while I was stopped would like to know what the loudest horn there is. If I could mount truck horns I think I would . tired of the close calls, each time instead of backing straight they turned right at me. with the stock horn blaring it still took 6>8 ft for them to stop, both within 2 ft of front tire.

Found this while searching around . . . don't know a thing about the company. But at 139db and a trumpet cover, it might just the trick . . . .

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Howard's Horns Home Page, motorcycle air horns, battery cables

Check these out, I have only had mine on for a couple of weeks, but they have already saved me some serious headaches with cars and trucks pulling over on me.

To me they were worth it.

Back