free website stats program Hard Starting Only When Hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting Only When Hot

My mistake, the bike is a 2006 Dyna Super Glide, my car is a 2003 I got the switched up in my mind. So would it be a waste of money to buy an 02 sensor to solve the hard starting problem. I am getting a code that it is open or not responding and the wires are connected but Idon't have any symptoms of an open just the code.

Personally I wouldn't think the O2 sensor would have anything to do with starting, but obviously something is up if you are getting codes.

My 07 starts fine cold but sometimes it takes me three times when hot after gassing up. It seems to be worse the warmer the air temperature. What is funny to me is I hear the fuel pump and it doesn't start then I hear the fuel pump a second time and it normally starts. I figure it is some sort of problem with a heat sensor.

It seems like if I blip the throttle then immediately hit the kill switch, it will start right up after I gas up. Probably doesn't really matter but is seems like it does if I can remember to do it.

When you say Stock, you mean absolute Stock. No fuel pack, no pulse stretcher, no nothing.

"Can an open or not responding O2 sensor cause this hard starting problem after the engine is hot?"

No, because during low RPM cranking, the ECM is not using the o2 sensors at all. Before the ECM goes closed loop the RPM must be off idle. During cranking the ECM is using fixed look-up tables.
(But it is based on my prior question of being pure stock)

What is funny to me is I hear the fuel pump and it doesn't start then I hear the fuel pump a second time and it normally starts.

Spade5, From YOUR description,
You might want to inspect the "fuel line" It can RUB inside the tank and cause a small hole.... Leaking pressure and having to run pump again... You described what could be the START of the problem with leakage there...

signed....BUBBIE

Spade5, From YOUR description,
You might want to inspect the "fuel line" It can RUB inside the tank and cause a small hole.... Leaking pressure and having to run pump again... You described what could be the START of the problem with leakage there...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, you make a very important point.

I wish there was an easy way to check fuel pump pressure without having to make or buy the expensive adapter. Pump pressure is such an important number to know when working on fuel injection. Since the pump will not run without an RPM signal, any bleed down will throw you off course while troubleshooting a problem.

Well not absolute stock, I do have the stage 2 or 3 download , no fuel pack. Samson ripsaw pipes other than nothing with the engine. This is very strange, the stealership thought maybe the gas cap but that did'nt seem to be it either heat sensor maybe i'll check it out.

My 07 lowrider does this occationally. I have found that if I turn the key off wait about 5 seconds then turn it back on It will start right up. Don't know why but it works for me!

My 08 Ultra has developed this same problem it starts and runs great when cold and even runs great when hot. It just doesn't want to start when hot. Definitely not getting enough fuel in my case. I have been turning the switch on twice before starting and it does help.
But need to find a solution for this.

I haven't had this issue on my '07 Ultra yet... but when I first got my 883, it was such a bear to start cold and warm. But I dealt with it until I finally got around to rejetting it and tuning it this year. I found it was from being way too lean. HD just makes them lean to pass the federal requirements for pollution control.

My 08 Ultra has developed this same problem it starts and runs great when cold and even runs great when hot. It just doesn't want to start when hot. Definitely not getting enough fuel in my case. I have been turning the switch on twice before starting and it does help.
But need to find a solution for this.

IF you are NOT turning the throttle while trying to start.?

When were the last New plugs installed? (6R12's recommend)
OR how do the old ones look.... PURE White?

Not enough fuel could be the Gas Filter in the tank?

Funny it runs cold and hot...

signed....BUBBIE

Back