free website stats program Hard Start - BANG! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Start - BANG!

On a restart when the bike is hot I find that I don't get that kickback or bang as some call it if I hit the starter button as soon as I turn on the key instead of waiting for the fuel pump to cycle to full pressure.

My 07 Wideglide has done this since new. I will try your suggestion and hit the starter as soon as I turn on the key. Thanks

Thanks, Hoople! I'll try powering through it next time (if I can keep from jumping when it bangs!). I checked my front / rear spark advance in my current map and no cells are set at zero. A few 1's and 2's in the far upper right 4 cells.

I appreciate everyone's responses and expertise on this.

Have a good weekend.

A couple of things for consideration. The starter bang/compensator bottoming must put a terrible shock load on the crank shaft. With the pressed together crank, I would think that the SE comp would prevent a major expense of a total tear down for a crank replacement, even if the SE comp needs to be replaced again later.

For a start, you have full atmospheric pressure in the cylinder, greater even than you would have at full throttle. Combine that with the extra heat from a fully heat soaked engine and there may be simple compression caused pre-ignition. Add that to a three year old battery with less than new capacity and you get the "stalled start". My battery made it to 4 years before this became a frequent occurrence. A new battery may help with the stall/kickback, but the compensator bang may become worse because of the new battery.

Do you start in gear when the engine is hot? If so, I found that the clutch plates stick together even in the short time for a gas stop. Shoving the bike back or forward a few inches will break the clutch plates loose from each other and you will get a faster initial spin when engaging the starter. If you always start in neutral, there is nothing else which will lower the starter load any more.

Perhaps others have experience with whether or not the compensator bottoming on starts actually damages anything else, I changed my comp at 14,000 and now have 40,000. All seems well so far. As far as a second comp replacement, I have not researched to see if the comp parts are available separately from the conversion kit, as the kit includes a new rotor which wouldn't be necessary for the second comp replacement. Good luck, however you go. The new 103s come from the factory with automatic compression release for starting. That might become a fairly desirable upgrade for the 96s also.

Thanks. I always start in neutral. I may look to get a new battery. I do have the ESP for another 4 more years, so if this bang starts getting worse, I'll take it in to the dealer.

Appreciate everyone's help on this.

same prob on my 07 rk. pushing the bike foward and back or starting in gear alleviate the problem don't start in neutral anymore this will stop the problem.

The first sound I hear when starting my 08, Stage 1, Ultra Classic is a loud pop/bang/whatever. Seems perfectly normal, and I've heard it on others as well. It's been to the shop and I'm sure they would have not passed up a chance to fix something:s

Back