free website stats program Happy Tapets | Harley Davidson Forums

Happy Tapets

bubbacraft

I have 6,000 miles on my Dyna 1450. Ever since I bought it is has a tickity tickity sound under the gas tank at high speeds. The dealer told me it was the valves. He said to live with it no harm to follow.

Any body have a cure for this. My old 350 Chevy did this for years but not my Harley too. :bigsmiley29:

oil was fine Amsoil just had the dealer change it to HD synthetic, new hd filter and air filter ( screaming Eagle) still no change.

Rob

I have 6,000 miles on my Dyna 1450. Ever since I bought it is has a tickity tickity sound under the gas tank at high speeds. The dealer told me it was the valves. He said to live with it no harm to follow.

Any body have a cure for this. My old 350 Chevy did this for years but not my Harley too. :bigsmiley29:

Usually the dealer says ''that's normal'' which means we don't know how to fix it....:yes
For $12.50 you can fix this, all but too common, problem with the Twin Cam motor. Baisley Performance sells a two oil pressure by-pass spring that goes in your cam plate, one is a LMR#2 and a LMR#4. The LMR#2 will boost oil pressure in your engine by 10~15 lbs and the LMR#4 will get the pressure up 20~25 lbs, for those who use aggressive cams. The Spring will keep a steady pressure in the lifters stopping the lifter from collapsing at inconsistent engine speeds. The job takes about 45 min of your time to do plus a new cam cover gasket. You simply remove the cam cover (some times the pipe has to be removed first) tap out the 3/32'' roll pin remove the spring, install the new spring, tap in the roll pin, install the new gasket and Cam cover and your done. Another advantage to the Baisley spring is it takes 12 to 18 lbs of oil pressure to open the piston jets to cool the pistons, at idle your oil pressure normally drops to around 5 lbs....the jets are shut down....but with the added pressure of the spring you will have 15 to 20 lbs of pressure so the jets are cooling the pistons even at idle.

If you need more info how to do it feel free to ask.

Usually the dealer says ''that's normal'' which means we don't know how to fix it....:yes
For $12.50 you can fix this, all but too common, problem with the Twin Cam motor. Baisley Performance sells a two oil pressure by-pass spring that goes in your cam plate, one is a LMR#2 and a LMR#4. The LMR#2 will boost oil pressure in your engine by 10~15 lbs and the LMR#4 will get the pressure up 20~25 lbs, for those who use aggressive cams. The Spring will keep a steady pressure in the lifters stopping the lifter from collapsing at inconsistent engine speeds. The job takes about 45 min of your time to do plus a new cam cover gasket. You simply remove the cam cover (some times the pipe has to be removed first) tap out the 3/32'' roll pin remove the spring, install the new spring, tap in the roll pin, install the new gasket and Cam cover and your done. Another advantage to the Baisley spring is it takes 12 to 18 lbs of oil pressure to open the piston jets to cool the pistons, at idle your oil pressure normally drops to around 5 lbs....the jets are shut down....but with the added pressure of the spring you will have 15 to 20 lbs of pressure so the jets are cooling the pistons even at idle.

If you need more info how to do it feel free to ask.

Thanks Doc I don't think that I can do this myself but I will pass the info on to someone that can and get back to you.

Rob

Thanks Doc I don't think that I can do this myself but I will pass the info on to someone that can and get back to you.

Rob

Rob it's not that hard BUT by all means let you mechanic do it .....it can't cost you more than an hour labor.

For DOC .. Thanks for the advice on the op spring. My '08 with 1k had a lot of lifter noise and when I took it to the HD dealer they told me it was the kickstand rest. Needless to say NOPE! Took your advice and bought the spring,installed it, end of problem! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...Nels

Back