free website stats program Handlebar advice...? | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar advice...?

CC1971

Okay, I have an '09 RK with the heritage bars on it but I'm looking at changing over to the Chubbys beachbar which will require extensions to the wiring harness to complete and I'm good with all that but my question is, being that I'm 5'9" and built like a fire plug will I be able to use these bars comfortably? I really appreciate the look it will give my RK but don"t need to drop $250 if riding it will be awkward - I've already changed the seat and shocks to reach the ground and my current set up works fine-generally ride two up and tour long rides so anyone out there with beachbars your input is needed. Thanks.:)

There's nothing wrong with the herotage bars, in fact they were a quick and cheap replacement for the stock bars, no wiring change, simple bolt on change, but I like the look of the beachbar yet am hesitant to drop $250 on a "whim" thats all.

The beach bars may have you reaching further forward. The beach bars I've seen do not have as much rise as the heritage bars and could have you putting pressure on your wrist and back. Have you just seen pictures of the bars or does someone you know have them installed? Since the bars your currently using seem to fit your build you might want to sit on someones bike that has them to see if the reach is something you can live with. Switching bars and buying all the extended wires and cables is very costly and you already have a system that works for you.

I've only seen pictures so that's why I was reaching out here to perhaps find someone using the beachbar setup for perhaps their view - thats all.

You might try what someone here on the forum suggested and that is to sit on the bike, close your eyes and put your arms out to grab the bars. This will tell you what is a comfortable position for you. Get the measurments of the beach bars including how far back they come and how far up (rise) and see if they are anywhere near what your relaxed position is.

I agree with HDDON here. The reach will be more. Look at the speces for the beach bars that chubby give and then look at the specs for the Heritage bars. Compare the inches in rise between the two. I am pretty sure that the number for the beach bars is shorter. Having said that, they will put you back to where you started with the stock bars or lower. Most people get away from the stock bars because of the reach. My.02

Bodeen

Back