free website stats program Handle bar wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Handle bar wobble

Glider, (hope I'm not hijacking) but do you think my mystery wobble could have been from an unbalanced wheel. I wondered that earlier because when I got my new tires, they had to put quite a bit of weights on there. (At least in my opinion that was a lot) but there were none on there before. But the other thing, it happened about 35-40 mph, but I could not make it happen again. Hmmmmm.????

Joy

Balancing is important to get the maximum tire mileage out of any tire. If the wheel was out of balance, you should be able to induce the problem again at the same speed. When a tire is mounted and the tech finds there is too much weight needed to balance the tire, it can be rotated to a different position on the rim and the balanced checked again.
Usually the dot on the side wall will go next to the tire valve but it may make a better balancing job if it is placed elsewhere on the rim sometimes. It's important to remove any prior weights when balancing a new tire, maybe he overlooked an old weight on the rim when the tire was balanced ?

For a tire balancing, I would say that any more than 2-3 - 1/4 ounce weights are excessive to balance a tire properly.

I think there are 3 weights, I'll have to check again later. I will also look at the dot, I think he may have rotated the tire some, I don't seem to remember it being even with the stem, and he did take it off the balancer once and then rebalanced. I'll keep you posted. :)

I had a bar wobble on one of my old bikes. It happened betweem 40-50mph then smoothed out. It turned out to be a bad tire. I couldn't see the defect upon inspection, but by process of elimination thats what it turned out to be.

Hey, I just checked my bike, there are 2 weights on the front. I talked to my guy last night about it (before chasing balloons) & he reminded me that we moved the tire around & it was better with the dot even with the valve stem. I'm cool with it, but I do think the weights are a bit unsightly. :(

harleydavidson_indiv2.jpg

Thank you, again, for all your input. This "wobble" is only occuring when I've got the tour pak on the back. I've had two different mechanics suggest i put in extra air pressure in the front and it seems to help. The bike will be going into the shop later this week and I'm thinking the suspension on the back wheel is too soft. I will post a comment after the shope takes the bike for a run and an evaluation.

Ok. I've taken the bike into the shop and as it turns out the "front end" was loose. A quick tightening and now I'm good to go. Thanks again for all those who posted responses. A great site!

Back