free website stats program Guide on how to just ride..for couple of hours | Harley Davidson Forums

Guide on how to just ride..for couple of hours

hdrocks

I know a lot of you have planned and gone on rides covering many many hundred miles and some exotic places. But I have been thinking. What if I just happen to have a couple of hours now and want to just go for a ride solo and enjoy some scenic areas around me. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go to someplace like Google and plan the path? Perhaps a community like this where you can enter riding paths you enjoy near where you live and also include comments like why/what you like. People can enter either zip code or something and view different riding paths people recommend around you...Is this an old news, is there also something like this, perhap? mabye i just have too much time on my hand posting this :)

I put a map of Oregon (where I live) on the wall. Whenever I ride through a town, I put a push pin in that town. As my map fills up, I can see where I 'haven't' been. I plan my next ride accordingly.

My wife and I have found some very interesting places and it's fun discovering them on our own.

Serendipity; Good idea, I have done a search for rides before. If I do find one, it seems like I have to modify a portion of it because it's 50 - 100 miles from me. I have a Delorme Atlas & Gazettteer that I throw in my saddlebag or tourpack. It is the whole state in 50 pages. Each page is only 40 x 30 miles, so everything except neighbor hood streets are shown. I've found a lot of neat rides with it. One of the nice things about Georgia is that I can ride for hours on backroads, then get on a main road and be home in less than an hour.

Jayson; We were posting at the same time about the same thing! I'm from Melbourne (45yrs.) and been in Ga.for 10. My wife and I are considering relocating to your part of the state.

I did the same thing, a search for local rides and have hit most of them. There are roads I've either not been on, or haven't been on for a long time and the rides are spectacular. There's so much good riding within a few hours of me that I feel spoiled.

I agree with the guys that use the DeLorme Atlas (shameless plug for a local boy who made good).

Usually if I am thinking about a short ride I load Bing or Google maps while I am having my morning coffee and sketch out a ride. That way I can adjust the route to fit the time available.

Then I just go out and wander around, that's why I carry the DeLorme Atlas. If I see something interesting I can use the atlas to get an idea of the road type and if it is a dead end etc.

When you buy the DeLorme atlas and gazetter make sure you get the back roads edition

I know a lot of you have planned and gone on rides covering many many hundred miles and some exotic places. But I have been thinking. What if I just happen to have a couple of hours now and want to just go for a ride solo and enjoy some scenic areas around me. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go to someplace like Google and plan the path? Perhaps a community like this where you can enter riding paths you enjoy near where you live and also include comments like why/what you like. People can enter either zip code or something and view different riding paths people recommend around you...Is this an old news, is there also something like this, perhap? mabye i just have too much time on my hand posting this :)

Does this forum have a "ride map" forum section or map gallery divided by state, country etc.? Should it? Could it?

THANKS!!! so many good info here. I will definitely try to get as much miles as I can before the snow here.
I am also with Smokintoad on something like "ride map" forum. But I am sure this will take a lot of someone's time and effort, if it can be done. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if I can enter zip code or state, city, etc.. and there would be a list of entries describing the ride map, what to watch out for, what's so cool about the ride, bars/restaurant to stop by on the way, etc...well anway, I am going to start with what's been entered here. thanks to all again.

Back