free website stats program Growling or whining noise from front | Harley Davidson Forums

Growling or whining noise from front

dmack

I have a 2003 Electra Glide with 15000 miles. I have developed a noise comming from the front when I go into a left turn. It sounds like a power steering pump on an automobile when it is going out or low on fluid. I have had it at the dealer who put a new tire on front and checked the front bearing which was ok. The noise is between 45 and 50 mph and is very loud. What is puzzleing is that it does not make the noise riding 2 up. I have checked everything I know. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2003 Electra Glide with 15000 miles. I have developed a noise comming from the front when I go into a left turn. It sounds like a power steering pump on an automobile when it is going out or low on fluid. I have had it at the dealer who put a new tire on front and checked the front bearing which was ok. The noise is between 45 and 50 mph and is very loud. What is puzzleing is that it does not make the noise riding 2 up. I have checked everything I know. Any help would be appreciated.

DMack,

I have an '03 as well. First, are you sure the sound is from the front end? If so, your problem sounds like it may be brake related. Have you checked the pads on both sides of the front wheel? Ensure that they all look like the same amount of wear. If one pad or one set is worn out, there is a problem with that caliper, and I suggest you rebuild both sides and put on new pads. Check the rotors carefully to make sure they are not scored.

If the pads are all OK, then take off the calipers one at a time and using a stiff putty knife across the pads push both side pistons into the caliper. Using some brake cleaner spray, clean up in there as much as possible, and clean the rotor too. Remount the caliper and gently apply the front brake until the pads are back in firm contact with the rotor. Repeat for the other side.

Take it out for a test ride and see if the sound is still there. Let us know.

TQ

Back