free website stats program Grinding when letting clutch out, and when trying to start | Harley Davidson Forums

Grinding when letting clutch out, and when trying to start

shadetree1999

Hi Folks.
Spent a considerable amount of time searching the web, and haven't seen quite this same problem expressed. 2004 Springer, 40,000 km. After a long flawless ride, came to a full stop. Shifted into 1st gear, no problem. Started letting clutch out, terrible grinding noise that makes you pull the clutch in instantly. Tried shifting to 2nd, same thing, back to first, same thing...no binding in shifts. Shut the bike off expecting to find huge amounts of oil on the ground :). Went to start the bike, horrible grinding sound, starter runs but engine won't crank. Assumed I had starter engagment issues. Took the starter out, examined jackshaft, locking tab, nut tightness, all appears well. Re-installed starter, test with primary cover off, plug wires disconnected. Jackshaft engages fine, engine cranks fine, no noise. Adjusted clutch according to factory manual, put it all back together, bike seemed to be running flawless. About 500 km later, exact same problem. Horrible grinding sound (coming from within the primary cover, seemingly more towards the front of the bike). when letting out clutch, grinding when trying to start. However, if I leave the clutch out, and the bike in gear while hitting the start button, the bike lurches forward, indicating the starter is engaging fine?

Any ideas of what to look for when I get the bike back home, and on the lift?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Shadetree

Thanks Glider, you were right on the money. Found the nut backed out about an inch and stripped, grey oil with only 500Km on it. Was able to effect repairs enough to get it started and ride it home. Will investigate how bad the damage is on the weekend. Hopefully it's just the threads on the nut that took most of the abuse.

Thanks again!

Shadetree

Thanks Glider, you were right on the money. Found the nut backed out about an inch and stripped, grey oil with only 500Km on it. Was able to effect repairs enough to get it started and ride it home. Will investigate how bad the damage is on the weekend. Hopefully it's just the threads on the nut that took most of the abuse.

Hope so too, but you need to pull the rotor off and check it, the splines in the hole, and the stator. When my compensator nut backed off, the rotor actually jammed against the stator and the drive shaft neatly sheared off ALL the teeth in the hole. So new stator, rotor, and VR later, we were back in business.

Use red Locktite!

TQ

Wow Glider.... was it really that simple? Or just a lucky edjumacted guess....lol

I know it wasn't luck, but still.... wow

Back