free website stats program Great Bike Trip To California Wine Country! | Harley Davidson Forums

Great Bike Trip To California Wine Country!

Steve Di.

I just got back from a great bike trip to California wine country. A buddy of mine, and our wives, flew into LAX and rented a two Road Kings and a Fat Bob at Route 66 riders in L.A. We rode up to the Santa Ynez valley, located just north of Santa Barbara and stayed in Solvang.

The ride took us north on the P.C.H. to route 33, route 192 (Foot Hills road), to route 154, and finally, route 246 into Solvang.

The area we visited was depicted in the movie "Sideways" and offers some of some of the most beautiful I have seen. It consisted of rolling hills with endless vineyards that are outlined by mountains. We visited many great vineyards and tasted a lot of excellent wine.

We will allow some extra time on our next trip so we can jump from region to region. We will continue up to the Paso Robles region, then Napa and Sanoma.

Check out the attached pictures

Attachments

• DSCN3861 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3861 (Small).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN3859 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3859 (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN3869 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3869 (Small).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN3941 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3941 (Small).JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN3880 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3880 (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 36
Great trip and it looks like you had awesome weather.

Better prepare yourself to start daydreaming about how nice a ride those Road Kings were and how great they'd look in YOUR garage! :s

You bet! The Road Kings were 2009 vintage, so it goes with out saying, I enjoyed the ride and, at California prices, appreciated the 6 speed transmission. We averaged 45 miles per gallon on the trip.

The only downer is the new Road King made my 2005 Heritage seem old!

Steve, you would have arrived at my door if you had stayed on Hwy 246 for another 21 miles after Solvang. You are right - very pretty country and good roads for motorcycles. I'm spoiled by having them in my "backyard."

Hope you get out here again some time. You can then take Highway 1 up the coast through Morro Bay, Cambria, Big Sur, Carmel etc. I'd be happy to recommend routes to you or any other HDTimeline member.

Thank you Jim. I will take you up on that offer. When we make our next trip, we plan to ship our bikes to Los Angeles as renting for more than four days becomes more expensive than shipping the bikes and gear.

BTW, my favorite road is Foxen Canyon, tarantulas included! There were plenty out!

My second favorite is Santa Rosa Road (the loop). The scenery on that road is beautiful. The picture below was taken there.

Attachments

• DSCN3858.jpg
    DSCN3858.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 28
Thank you Jim. I will take you up on that offer. When we make our next trip, we plan to ship our bikes to Los Angeles as renting for more than four days becomes more expensive than shipping the bikes and gear.

BTW, my favorite road is Foxen Canyon, tarantulas included! There were plenty out!

My second favorite is Santa Rosa Road (the loop). The scenery on that road is beautiful. The picture below was taken there.

Steve,

Foxen Canyon and Santa Rosa Rd are great. Other roads around here just as scenic or even better. Just send me a private message or a post on the forum when you get ready to come again and I'll give you some ideas. Depending on when you come, I might even be able to give you a guided tour. That offer is also open to any other HDTimeline members.

As Jim said, riding in SoCal up the central coast PCH is a great ride and the wine tasting is a delight. Being new to SoCal I have only explored it a few times, and tasting some great Pinots which are fresh and lighter than the rather heavier tastes of the Cabernets and such way up north in Sonoma & Napa Counties where I am from. Stick to the well traveled roads going to and from the wineries is truly an experience worth waiting for.

I would like to add a word of caution here, one of the roads I used to ride as a favorite was Hwy 150 up to Ojai and beyond, but the roads have suffered so much damage from the rock slides, road buckling and poor maintenance due to the current California economy crunch, that it is no longer a joy due to the large cracks and poorly filled tar snakes, so stay to more traveled roads going to the winerys and PCH to be sure and take a GPS.

That is a trip I would like to take.... beautiful country there.

As is the country in your part of the country. I really enjoyed the Maggie Valley area and the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum a couple of years ago.

Back