free website stats program Gps | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gps

I bought a Zumo 450 from a guy who was upgrading to a 550. Got it for $200 and it's made for motorcycles (big buttons, left hand use, water resistant). I use it on the RG for trips, but I also use it for riding around on the weekend because I can plug it straight into the stereo and use it as a 8 MB MP3 player :)

I use a Tom Tom Rider 2 it has bluetooth but I never use it , but I am happy with it , I use it on road trips most of the time , I also use it in the auto . It is all touch screen & has no buttons & it is waterproof , I got it for $430 on sale .

mount it to the handlebars is what i did have logged at least 3k with it not a prob yet

GPS's are for Sissy's. "Just kidding" I use them all of the time, they are the you are here map for me. I like the ones that show me lots of street detail and let me look at it as a map, in order to make my own choices rather than showing me turns and directions only. I use an old Garmin Street pilot on my FLH mounted on the left handlebar. I took a foot peg clamp that fit the bars and a piece of flat 3" by 3" stainless steel and made a mount, The slip in Garmin base didn't hold up due to the vibration, but I did away with the bottom base and drilled a hole in the upper base and used a machine screw and nut to hold the unit directly to the stainless. It is now a permanet mount, but works well. It has been on the bike about 4,500 miles with no problems. Like I said it's and old unit, one of the first street pilots, so it has to have a chip in it for local street detail and they are small memory type. So I only get a couple of cities like Baltomore, Md and Wash. DC. with local street detail. If you get out of those area's it gives you major roads only. I think the newer versions would be a great choice for a bike as they have great internal memory ability. As far as I know the older street piolot is sort of weather resistant, mine has been really wet many times and hasn't had any problems. I don't know about the newer ones though. But they are a great addition to a bike and a great tool.

I had a tomtom for one trip and found it worked very well with one huge drawback. It would not show phone numbers for hotels or any business for that matter. If you roll into town and want a hotel it is nice to be able to get the phone numbers off the gps. I switched to a 450 garmin. No blue tooth. If I had to do it again I would get the 550. It comes with the car mount and all the other good stuff.

I ride with a buddy who uses a standard Tomtom. He found he cannot see the screen well in bright sunlight.
While we were in Sturgis last week he picked up a fabric shroud that goes around the screeen, and now he can see it OK.
The Zumo on the other hand is intended for bikes. It is bright and water proof, though costly for sure.
I use an older Garmin Quest (made for Harley) that I have mounted on a RAM mount on the left handle bar. It has a kind of smallish screen, but it is bright and waterproof. The original Harley mount for teh Quest that fastens to the right side of the fairing is junk. Did not last through the first season, and you have to use your right hand to run the GPS, which just ain't handy at all.

Run

I use the Garmin Conquest, made for HD. Have had it for almost 2 years. Absolutely no problems. Has detailed maps for the entire US, provides as much guidance as you want, can create routes on my computer and upload to it, can use with or without sound, easy to read in bright sunlight, waterproof, has phone numbers for almost everything in it, etc. Can not recommend it enough. If I had it to do over again though, I would go with the Zumo for the larger screen, bluetooth, and XM radio.

I had a tomtom for one trip and found it worked very well with one huge drawback. It would not show phone numbers for hotels or any business for that matter. If you roll into town and want a hotel it is nice to be able to get the phone numbers off the gps. I switched to a 450 garmin. No blue tooth. If I had to do it again I would get the 550. It comes with the car mount and all the other good stuff.

I purchased a TomTom Rider for bikes and it is working out nice. It does show hotel phone numbers which I agree is nice to have.

Mine did not show phone #s. I called TomTom and they told me they had no plans to put them in there gps. I might have kept it if I thought I could of upgraded it.

Back