free website stats program GPS systems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS systems

Morning, I have the Tom Tom rider 2. I live near London, but try and drive around that city without gps, nigh impossible, especially as I have only been in the UK for 8 years

I'd like to put in a plug for GPS systems. If you do a lot of touring they are indispensable. I've been lost in strange cities through the years way too often. I would often stop, look at a map, memorize eight street names, head out only to find I passed one street or the name was shown on signs as a numbered road instead of map name road. etc. A jump off the freeway to get gas with no feeder road to get back on... only a spaghetti bowl of other freeways and no idea how to get back on course. I'd say for me not having every map of every city I visit, not even enough details in the atlas of the state, a GPS is worth 10 times over what I ever paid for one on the road.

Sure, long before GPS was available people made do without them. That reminds me of a co worker engineer who I worked with back in the 80's just when computers entered our work place. He said he didn't need a computer, he could do the same thing with a Big Chief tablet and number two pencil. Well, lol, I really doubt he is using that Big Chief tablet today.

As inexpensive as GPS is getting I'd have no problem with even the cheapest one stuffed in my pocket if I had to. But knowing how often I use one on a trip I prefer a MC model that can with stand everything a motorcycle can dish out and find it the most valuable tool I ever owned. I'm also spontaneous and like to take unknown back roads just to see where they go. But I also like to know where I am without having to stop and fight maps flapping in the wind.

You can make do without a phone, without a computer, without microwave ovens, without internet....but welcome to the high tech times and enjoy what you can to make life easier. GPS is worth every penny. ;)

Which brand/model do you have, or recommend, Fifthgear?

I have been researching GPS units lately and am interested in the zumo's and was thinking about the 450, but it has been discontinued. The 550 and newer one (660?) seem to have more function thatn I would need.

The old lady (a.k.a. santa clause) just bought me the Tom Tom rider 2 addition. Haven't been able to use it on the bike yet, but looking forward to spring. Really like how it mounts right to the bars and above all is water proof, not to mention the screen is good sized so you can see where you are heading. A added feature is you can put it in your truck as well!

Which brand/model do you have, or recommend, Fifthgear?

I am embarrassed to say that I spent the big bucks back in the time that the list price for a HD QuestII was nearly $800. But bought from Chicago HD for $20% off. Now, I have a GPS for every vehicle I own and most bottom end Garmins. The piced dropped over a couple of years to where even they are now 1/4 of what they were in cost or totally new models.

I compare it to the day back in 1979 when I bought my first VCR for $1400. At the time they had price dropped in half. Was it worth every penny then? Yes, to me. Being a shift worker with only 4 channel TV it was either have it or at the mercy of TV net works. Years later when you could buy one for $29 had no impact. I needed it, used the life out of it, and never batted an eye. I feel like all electronics GPS will continue to come down in price and get better and more powerful. Does it make me want to wait for years or even decades to have a GPS at a give away price? No way, I need it now and find that even at the inflated price I paid for my QuestII that I'm a happy camper.

My recommendations is for a water proof model like a TOM TOM Rider or ZUMO etc. I know many who have the bottom of the line Garmins that are still working with a little care in putting the baggie over it in rain but for me being 2000 miles away from home I'd just as soon not worry about rain or elements. For me having the waterproof was just the thing to have.

My QuestII isn't a touch screen but much more detailed than my other Garmins with more control and features in a lot of ways. But, typing in an address using manual arrow keys to choose each letter and pressing ok is not much fun after the ease of using the touch screens. In all I would not recommend the QuestII now, it's slightly outdated with a small screen. I do love the preloaded HD dealer locater and used it coming back from Las Vegas last year when I had a bike problem. I understand the Dealer locater file is available somewhere on the net that will work on others.

I guess with all the good things I've read about the Zumo 550 that's what I'd have to buy today if I were doing it all over. I really don't need the XM, bluetooth or MP3 etc though. If at any time I couldn't afford it, I'd buy any of them that I could afford and baggie it if I had to.

Attachments

• quest.JPG
    quest.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm not to concerned about getting lost , but running low on gas in unfamiliar territory scares me.

The ability to locate gas/food/hotel is what I look for in a GPS. The other feartures are secondary.

I'm not to concerned about getting lost , but running low on gas in unfamiliar territory scares me.

The ability to locate gas/food/hotel is what I look for in a GPS. The other feartures are secondary.

I am with dangerdan & fifthgear...just yesterday I went down to see my grandson's team win in a school gymnasium 3 1/2 hours away in a rather obscure area with infamous SoCal traffic. GPS got me there, on time...but not without a little drama, a new 4 way interchange and overpass made me cross some area's basically listed as "unknown road" it did not recognize, but it still guided me to the right spot. Unless I had the latest San Diego street map made within the last 6 months I would still be searching for that school.:newsmile036:

Then there was the gas stations and rest stops...try finding a gas station on Interstate 5 with traffic trying to go 80+ and so many lane changes, on & off ramps and still get to your destination on time. Riding a motorcycle should not require this much drama...it should be relaxing...GPS alleviated what could have been a missed moment in time...I saw the most incredible game he ever played! :sd

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input I am looking @ the tom tom 2 because I dont need the XM feature I already have Sirius , I guess that they put that MC claim on the gps & the price goes up 3x or 4x .

Back