free website stats program Good news about motorcycle accidents.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Good news about motorcycle accidents....

Do you think this may be due to fewer cars on the road and fewer miles being driven? According to DOT figures fuel consumption is down so it stands to reason that people are driving less so they are hitting us less!!!

One sobering aspect is not discussed in that article was writtan in our local county newspaper about military personel being killed riding motorcycles is still rising. The common thread is a young enlisted male serviceman fresh from active duty (usually Iraq or Afganistan), comes home, finds motorcycles are cost effective transportation, learns to ride, gets a license to ride a motorcycle (usually a metric sportbike) and killed off base in civilian traffic within a year. All branches of the military are reacting by stepping up the requirements for training ON BASE, riding with HI VIS vests, helmets, leather gear and boots (not hiking boots either...I can attest to that one personally). So just ride safe out there and take the heat if you see fellow riders doing foolish things if you can...easier to apologize than it is to see them added to the statistics...

Last edited:
Believe HDDON has it right. fewer cages out there. I would probably be dead today if there were not a lot fewer cars in the "olden days":cheers

Do you think this may be due to fewer cars on the road and fewer miles being driven? According to DOT figures fuel consumption is down so it stands to reason that people are driving less so they are hitting us less!!!

That may very well be......I'm just glad to see fewer accidents/fatalities whatever the reason is.

One sobering aspect is not discussed in that article was writtan in our local county newspaper about military personel being killed riding motorcycles is still rising. The common thread is a young enlisted male serviceman fresh from active duty (usually Iraq or Afganistan), comes home, finds motorcycles are cost effective transportation, learns to ride, gets a license to ride a motorcycle (usually a metric sportbike) and killed off base in civilian traffic within a year. All branches of the military are reacting by stepping up the requirements for training ON BASE, riding with HI VIS vests, helmets, leather gear and boots (not hiking boots either...I can attest to that one personally). So just ride safe out there and take the heat if you see fellow riders doing foolish things if you can...easier to apologize than it is to see them added to the statistics...

I was interested in the Hiking boot comment...is there a story behind this...I t seems as if a protected foot ....is just that...please enlighten me......it may save my feet one day....thanks in advance!

As Hobbit says, the shaft should extend well beyond the ankles...the military base also had a problem with combination canvas (like sports tennis shoes combination uppers apparently, because I have since worn all leather hiking boot w/ a heel and it passed "muster" once. But then decided to just wear my normal Wellington boot w/ steel shank and toe and it does not even get more than a glance.

I always wear my boots I dont get these guys here in Florida wearing shorts tank tops ouch sun burn and tennis shoes what ever happened to common sense and safety

Back