free website stats program Generator problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Generator problem

erin

On our way home from a weekend ride, my husband's speedometer and odometer stopped working on his '03 Fatboy. Shortly after that, his gen light came on. He called the service center at the dealership and they indicated he would likely have to replace some parts at a cost of $600 to $1000. I am not sure it is pertinent, but we spent a good portion of 2 days riding in heavy rain, although the rain had no adverse effect on my bike. Also, he recently purchased a tender that he had hooked up for a couple of weeks prior to the malfunctions. Any suggestions before we take it in?

On our way home from a weekend ride, my husband's speedometer and odometer stopped working on his '03 Fatboy. Shortly after that, his gen light came on. He called the service center at the dealership and they indicated he would likely have to replace some parts at a cost of $600 to $1000. I am not sure it is pertinent, but we spent a good portion of 2 days riding in heavy rain, although the rain had no adverse effect on my bike. Also, he recently purchased a tender that he had hooked up for a couple of weeks prior to the malfunctions. Any suggestions before we take it in?

Seems like an electrical problem, so I would do as suggested above and check the last thing done to the bike that was electrical in nature (like installing the battery tender). Make sure that all connections are tight. Then I would go through the electrical system to see if it is working correctly. Check here:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

Glider already sent you the link for the speed sensor, so check that and make sure it is not all "fuzzy". If it is, just install a new one. Not worth the hassle to try and COMPLETELY clean it, IMHO.

TQ

Back