free website stats program General H-D questions and concerns | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

General H-D questions and concerns

I've had my '99 Road King for two years now and have had absolutely no complaints about it.Before I bought this bike,I had a '96 Kaw. Vulcan 800 which treated me real good too,but the HD,by far,out performs The Kaw. and I will NEVER return to those "other" bikes.As far as maintenance,I have all of the basics done every fall(i.e.fluids changed,cables checked,brakes checked etc...)I just find that a professional knows what they're looking for.I do run all synthetic fluids though.The only thing I do is wash,fill and ride!!!Don't listen to the rumor mill.By the way,Used is just as good as new.

Bluesugar, don't understand your point...sorry. If you're saying that the wobble doesn't happen, I think there is information out there that it does. I don't know the conditions under which it happens, but I'm not sure it's related to rider skill...I'm talking about a design deficiency which the Motor Company has corrected in the '09 models...so even they recognize it as a problem.

Smitty, I was concerned that this might be redundant. I guess I am overthinking this and I'll shut up now...not trying to stir it up or cause problems.

Deetster...thanks for the info...good stuff.

Thanks again, everyone! Returning to lurk mode...:D

J-Bob

Bluesugar, don't understand your point...sorry. If you're saying that the wobble doesn't happen, I think there is information out there that it does. I don't know the conditions under which it happens, but I'm not sure it's related to rider skill...I'm talking about a design deficiency which the Motor Company has corrected in the '09 models...so even they recognize it as a problem.

Smitty, I was concerned that this might be redundant. I guess I am overthinking this and I'll shut up now...not trying to stir it up or cause problems.

Deetster...thanks for the info...good stuff.

Thanks again, everyone! Returning to lurk mode...:D

J-Bob
No need to lurk... everyone has opinions and needs to voice them! AND everyone needs to explain that thier writing is either "first-hand" experience, or a question about a rumor.

As far as wobble.... the only wobble I ever experience when when I (STUPIDLY) neglected to check my spoke tightness.... and the rear wheel on my '02 RK "egged-out"... I noticed a high speed (70+ mph) wobble one day... then the next day it was at 60+ mph.... then the next day it was 40 to 50 MPH (and of course I went to the stealer).

It "Felt" like the front was hopping around, but it was actually the rear wheel, going out of balance and becoming oval (instead of round). It was an expensive lesson (I went back to the cast wheel, plus a new tire!). Since then, I don't trust spoked wheels (or myself to keep an eye on them, I'd rather RIDE!)... so I traded my FRONT laced wheel for an original cast wheel "take off"... and am very happy!

Back to the lurking comment... I am new here... and decided NOT to lurk (as I usually do). The people seem to really want to help here, and do NOT (IMHO) have attitude... which is very refreshing! It is a community very like the bike community... willing to help anyone, new or old, experienced or novice, old bike or new bike... and those just shopping or wishing. Even though I don't know much about bikes in general, I do have "life" experience that I want to share with everyone... and maybe teach a few old dogs some new tricks!

Back to the lurking comment... I am new here... and decided NOT to lurk (as I usually do). The people seem to really want to help here, and do NOT (IMHO) have attitude... which is very refreshing! It is a community very like the bike community... willing to help anyone, new or old, experienced or novice, old bike or new bike... and those just shopping or wishing. Even though I don't know much about bikes in general, I do have "life" experience that I want to share with everyone... and maybe teach a few old dogs some new tricks!

I'm glad that feeling of friendliness comes across on the forum. That's what we try very hard for here. We do not allow the keyboard commandos that other sites have and if someone gets out of line, whether it be attitudes or vulgarity etc, they get a PM about it. If it gets ignored, they get another PM. After that, there's no more PM's :D. We like a friendly and helpful atmosphere here on the forum and our staff is top notch in keeping things running smooth.

It's comments like this that make the work that we all put in here very worthwhile and appreciated also.

Thanks!:s

Not a problem... I have moderated other boards... and this one truly is refreshing!

That being said, I am going to be a typical newbie shortly, and start posting some question (after searching of course!!!).

and I will post my experiences of moving AWAY from paying the Stealers to work on my bike.... now that the RK is 6 years old, I am taking the time to "do it myself, which is both fun, educational, and CHEAPER".... although my patience and body are wearing thin and showing wear and tear!

I changed Primary case fluid this last weekend.... and NOW recall why my dad told me never to push on a wrench.... and I have a new scar to prove it! I took pics while disassembling, and of the FRESH cut... and will SHOW you guys how to fix the cut and move on.... if you want to know! The "cure" is something I carry in all my vehicles... and keep at work.... for those times that you least expect to use it! Lets just say it is unorthodox, but you can continue to work, not infect a cut, and I SWEAR it heals faster...

OK, so:

Incidentally, Fourdogs, that's precisely why I said I was not bashing H-Ds...I like them very much and I want one...I just don't want to have to spend my life wrenching on it or worrying that I'm going to get thrown off because of a handling misdesign. Let's be honest...I'm one of those people you refer to who might have some difficulty affording an H-D, particularly when there are many bikes out there at lower cost which are equally reliable and handle just as well. Yep, they're not Harleys, but I don't want to pay for a name and a slick marketing system...if the H-D will work for me and it rides well and is reliable, I'm down with it. If a Star or a Suzuki will do the same tasks more reliably, with less maintenance and lower cost, I would be foolish to blow them off and I'm not going to...regardless of how others perceive me.

J-Bob

Jinglebob...sorry you took my comment to mean you..which was "NOT" at all..I assumed you were looking to purchase a Harley, and thats why the questions you posed..which BTW proves your a good buyer...I was referring to some that might be trying to sway you away from the purchase of a Harley...I listen to comments as well when I was in the market...I was told all about oil leaks ...constant breakdowns...etc...but know what? None of the comments came from Harley owners...oh yeah I do believe a owner of a Harley will be honest about his bike good are bad...as you have seen on this forum...Its happen I'm sure but in my circle of friends I have not seen anyone make harsh comments about other brands...make joke s yes ...but not to put down any others bike...and the most repetitive comment I hear from NON-Harley owner is: There too expensive..so they would never own one..sorry dude but thats the truth. I've have not been sorry for one second I chose a Harley over any other bike...Peace brother...and hope to see ya on a Harley...Remember one thing it mechanical..so it needs service every freakin bike out there does...and it might break down...but if you take care of it you gonna be ok...Welllll most of the time ...lol Catch ya later... :D

Hey Jinglebob, My point was that if there is a wobble I don't plan on finding it! I've gone fast enough on the Road King(100+) and never experienced a bad feeling. The bike is a tourer. I'm sure that there are more aggresive riders that strain the frame but IMO they should be on that other type of bike that was built for such maneuvers,sport bikes,the ones that have 180-220mph on the speedo. Heck I was riding on I-95 one day doing the 75-80 mph bit when some joker on a ninja or hyabusi pulled along side, gave me a thumbs up and then down shifted and did a wheelie for about a hundred ft. and left me cold!! I will never be that kind of rider but the point was that the bike was made to do it. I can promise you this, if and when you aquire your Harley you will bust with pride every time you ride and see others looking at what your on because they/you know that it's a Harley and not a wanabe. If you want to go fast and furious the Harley "Brand" makes that too.Whatever you ride please be aware of it's limitations and be safe. Good luck and keep the breeze to your knees!!

Hey Jinglebob, My point was that if there is a wobble I don't plan on finding it! I've gone fast enough on the Road King(100+) and never experienced a bad feeling. The bike is a tourer. I'm sure that there are more aggresive riders that strain the frame but IMO they should be on that other type of bike that was built for such maneuvers,sport bikes,the ones that have 180-220mph on the speedo. Heck I was riding on I-95 one day doing the 75-80 mph bit when some joker on a ninja or hyabusi pulled along side, gave me a thumbs up and then down shifted and did a wheelie for about a hundred ft. and left me cold!! I will never be that kind of rider but the point was that the bike was made to do it. I can promise you this, if and when you aquire your Harley you will bust with pride every time you ride and see others looking at what your on because they/you know that it's a Harley and not a wanabe. If you want to go fast and furious the Harley "Brand" makes that too.Whatever you ride please be aware of it's limitations and be safe. Good luck and keep the breeze to your knees!!

Again just because some dont feel it dont mean it aint there and i have never had my RKC over 80 and i feel it at as slow of speed as 55.. but im done with this since i know what i feel and im the one on the bike no one can tell me what i feel and i dont.. so why waste my time ... and no its not lack of riding skill or going to fast i like to cruise ..but what ever ya dont have im happy for ya

Bud

It's not there, you're just imagining it's there :lolrolling

It's a fig newton of your imagination!

The wobble is a problem in the FLH and FXD models. The FXD has had only 2 rubber mounts since the first one came out, and at some point, the touring bikes were changed over to a similar mounting system so as to speed assembly. Unfortunately, it also hurt the handling of the bikes. The older FLH and FXR models never had the wobble. I've never heard of the rubbermount Sportsters having this problem either, since I believe they have the three point mounts. The new touring bikes have 4 mounts, I guess, which sounds good, except they've gone to a two piece frame to accommodate the new Trike, and that sounds bad for the two-wheelers.
Case porosity is not a problem at all. They had a problem with some weak cases cracking back in the '90s, but the current cases are fine.
The general reliability is going to be as good, and likely better than most UJM's. Harleys generally get a lot more miles on them than japanese bikes, so they have to be made better. Having said that, HD has done some things in recent years that have hurt the reliability, like changing the bulletproof Timken bearings they used to use for main bearings to a much weaker roller bearing. The two cam arrangement has been changed a couple of times to try to make it less failure-prone and less maintenance intensive, but with the 96" engine they've gone to camshafts that spin in a hole machined in the case- no bushing or bearing at all. It doesn't seem to have caused too many failures yet, but......... I've read where the japanese use this setup in car engines without a lot of problems, but I don't know much about japanese car engines.
It's the japanese who invented disposable cars and motorcycles. I don't think Harley has caught up to that concept yet, and it's still a lot more fun and satifying to own a Harley.

Back