free website stats program Gel palm riding gloves | Harley Davidson Forums

Gel palm riding gloves

mnultra

I have been looking at replacing my riding gloves and I'm wondering who uses gloves with the gel palm? What do you think of them? Do they cut back on vibration transfer to your hands? Does it adversely effect your grip on the bars by making the grips feel larger?

I know it's not a huge out of pocket expense to just try them for myself, but heck, if i can save $50 that's not all bad.

Thanks and ride safe.

I tried some gel palmed bicycle gloves to battle the vibration on my Sportster and I didn't like them at all. On a bicycle, more of your weight is actually forward on your hands so they work great. On a motorcycle, you're not leaning on your hands so they just felt thicker and cumbersome.

I would think about different grips on the bike - more expensive but it allows you to wear whatever gloves you like. I love my HD Aileron grips and I put the Kuryakyn ISO grips on my Sporty and they helped a lot.

Are you having hand problems? You might have to investigate whether your handlebars have your hands and arms in the proper position. HD makes a Touring Pullback bar that many really seem to like.

Agreed - Not a big fan of the gel gloves. They feel like boxing gloves. I wear a pair of batting gloves in the summer (Nike, about $15 at any sports store). They are all black for the "coolness factor" and the back of the hand is breathable material. I wear a pair of Skidoo spring snowmobiling gloves in the cold days. They are fleece lined neoprene, not too thick. About $50 at West Yellowstone Skidoo if you want a great road trip

IMO...adding bulky layer of gel between hand & grip is more uncomfortable & actually makes things worse. Better solution is to upgrade grips - my choice is Avon. They make a real nice air/cushion grip for HD's. Good luck!

I tried a pair of gel palmed gloves, didn't like them. Not able to feel the grips.
I wear standard gloves with open fingers all the time.

I think my bars are right. (I think:D) The only problem i have is my throttle hand falling asleep every so often (I know....Bring on the grip pressure discussion :D). My shoulders and neck don't have any problem at all.

I have looked at the ISO grips, and i know alot of people love them, but I can't seem to get passed the chrome and black contrast. Just not the look that I like. Thanks to Iceman I see that Avon has an all black set in the air cushion line that I may have to try.

I'll report back in about August when all this snow finally melts :newsmile078:

Thanks guys!

I tried some gel palmed bicycle gloves to battle the vibration on my Sportster and I didn't like them at all. On a bicycle, more of your weight is actually forward on your hands so they work great. On a motorcycle, you're not leaning on your hands so they just felt thicker and cumbersome.

I would think about different grips on the bike - more expensive but it allows you to wear whatever gloves you like. I love my HD Aileron grips and I put the Kuryakyn ISO grips on my Sporty and they helped a lot.

Are you having hand problems? You might have to investigate whether your handlebars have your hands and arms in the proper position. HD makes a Touring Pullback bar that many really seem to like.

Dr.D has you covered...I use GEL palmed bicycle gloves and heel pads in my boots...both work great for their specific application...no numbness in the hands (bicycle) or feet/heels (shoes and boots). Even use GEL/Sheep skin pads on the seat...also fine.:s

But, also like Dr.D, I don't think they will work so well for a motorcycle, because I do not like the bulk in the palm area of my gloves, which would make the 1" large diameter H-D grips lose my road "feel" which help work the hand controls smoothly. JMHO :60:

I agree I don't like the feel of Gel gloves. In fact I don't really like gloves at all. I only wear them for one reason, if I go down I want to have leather between my hands and the asphalt. I buy $9.oo leather riding gloves at Harbor Freight. The are breathable on the back with a velcro latch, flexible but have extra leather padding on the palm and bottom of the fingers. They come tan and black two tone. Plenty warm in cold weather too. I don't even use the $20 pair I bought at Leather up.

I wear fingerless deerskin gel palm gloves from fox Creek almost all the time
(while riding) and love them. Never worn full fingered gel palms and when I do wear full fingered gloves because of cold, I don't notice the difference between the two. I guess the gel compacts after awhile or maybe I'm just used to them.

The deerskin fingerless are on sale at Fox Creek right now too!

Bodeen

Back