free website stats program Gear for clutch addjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Gear for clutch addjustment

Tin Can

Hi Everyone.
Let me ask this question so I try and do this right the first time. What gear should you be in when adjusting the clutch (05 ultra)
Thanks

Never even heard this issue addressed. Always assumed that you would adjust it in neutral. The most important thing as far as I know is that the bike is still cold.
Why are you asking what gear it should be in anyways???
Your not trying to ride it and adjust it, are you??? Like, ride it a bit, adjust it, ride it some more, adjust it?

I watched the vidio and read all of the back post. Most everyone did ok , but some had a very hard time adjusting the clutch. nothing ever said what gear to be in. just ashing thanks:newsmile01:

The hardest part for me is how far to back that set screw out. That is what will make the friction point vary as far as letting the clutch out. One of these days I'm going to set this with a torque wrench and write down how I did it so I can have a consistant adjustment every time. I prefer the clutch to start grabbing as soon as I start to let it out, compared to further in the levers stroke. Other then that though, the clutch adjustment is one of the eaiser things to do inside of the primary IMO.
Glad I could help!!!

Hi Everyone.
Let me ask this question so I try and do this right the first time. What gear should you be in when adjusting the clutch (05 ultra)
Thanks

The only time putting it in gear is required is if someone overtightened the locknut. Otherwise neutral will be fine.
Putting it in gear just keeps the basket from rotating so you can break it loose.

1/2 turn out from lightly seated will give you a good clutch adjustment that is about half way out on the handle once finished.

Always adjust on a cold motor, the adjustment changes as the heat increases.

Thanks Ultra Good, I will be carful on that point.

Thanks Glider for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time putting it in gear is required is if someone overtightened the locknut. Otherwise neutral will be fine.
Putting it in gear just keeps the basket from rotating so you can break it loose.

1/2 turn out from lightly seated will give you a good clutch adjustment that is about half way out on the handle once finished.

Always adjust on a cold motor, the adjustment changes as the heat increases.

Thats what I want to use a torque wrench for, the lightly seated part. I use a torque wrench for everything because I don't know my own strength and tend to strip and or snap things. Lightly seated gives me about a 1/4 turn variance, maybe a bit less, and that is enought to affect the overall adjustment and hence the friction point. Some time this summer, I am going to put the bike on the rack and take my time and figure this out and establish some scientific measurments, or inch/lb readings that work for me and how I want it. Until then though, I do get it close enough.
Thanks Glider!

I don't think a torque wrench is really needed.

If in doubt use two fingers on the tool of choice to feel the "lightly seated'' on the adjuster and make life a bit easier on yourself.:D

It's a very simple adjustment to make.

Thats what I want to use a torque wrench for, the lightly seated part. I use a torque wrench for everything because I don't know my own strength and tend to strip and or snap things. Lightly seated gives me about a 1/4 turn variance, maybe a bit less, and that is enought to affect the overall adjustment and hence the friction point. Some time this summer, I am going to put the bike on the rack and take my time and figure this out and establish some scientific measurments, or inch/lb readings that work for me and how I want it. Until then though, I do get it close enough.
Thanks Glider!

I belive Glider had a tip in the help section on the lightly seated, If you hold the clutch lever with your hand and turn the adjustment in you can feel it hit bottm from that point turn back out 1/2 turn and tighten lock nut. I have tryed this and it works good you get same results every time.

Back