free website stats program Gassing up my Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Gassing up my Street Glide

Biffy08

Hi all.

This maybe odd but I am going to ask it anyway.

Last weekend was the first I have had to put gas in my 2014 FLHX, because our weather is just too cold for me. Anyway, I am 5'8" and actually had trouble getting gas in the tank. I feel that the fuel door does not open enough to get a good view of what is going in, nor allow my "shorter" than most body frame, the leverage to perform this comfortably.

Has anyone else experienced this or just me? If anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able to compensate, I would like to hear from you. Please, no short jokes!:lolrolling

I agree it gets kind of tight in there because the door blocks some access. I stick the nozzle about 1" below the cap lip and let it go till shut off, then pull it back and "bump" the lever until gas is visible in the neck.

I always pick a pump where I can park the bike on the right side of it. Therefore standing on the left side of the bike while fueling makes it a little easier to see because the bike is leaning toward you.

I always pick a pump where I can park the bike on the right side of it. Therefore standing on the left side of the bike while fueling makes it a little easier to see because the bike is leaning toward you.

That and turn the handlebars to the right so you can get your body further forward to look in. I usually put the nozzle about half it's length into the tank and pump at mid speed 'til it clicks off listening for the fuel getting closer to the nozzle end (not always possible in noisy areas). Pull the nozzle back to let gas drain and look in the tank. May give a short shot of the nozzle to make ripples in the fuel so I can see it.

Wow! I have to say I am excited to try these suggestions and really like the fact that something that should be simple as fueling, has proven to be more difficult than it should be not only to me, but some others as well. Thanks for your comments!!!!:D I must say Pete, I wish I thought of yours!

I agree with you guys and if I can't park on the right of the pump, I still stick it into the tank and walk around to watch the fill. Just my $0.02.

Back