free website stats program Gasket maker? | Harley Davidson Forums

Gasket maker?

mnultra

So I installed the HD oil cooler on my 09 Ultra the other day, and I seem to have an oil seep where the oil cooler/filter adapter mounts on to the original filter base. I plan to take it apart again and make sure the gasket is positioned correctly and to make sure I didn't pinch the gasket, but here is my question. I looked on the istructions for the part number of the gasket and, I don't know how this is posiible, but they don't service that mounting gasket seperately. If the gasket is screwed up, can I use a high temp gasket maker in it's place?

Any help is appreciated.

Ride safe!

If you did not get the adapter as tight as it needs to be it can leak.
If you remove it make sure you clean threads and reapply a small amount of red loctite to the adapter.

The instructions say 12-16 ft lbs. Can I safely go a bit tighter. That doesn't seem like a whole lot.

When I put the HD cooler on my '99 Ultra, I can say that lining up the gasket is a very trying thing. I used a thin coating of Gasketcinch or a like product to kind of keep the gasket in place while I put the oil filter mounting bracket in. I also put two white marks on the gasket and on the mounting base to insure that the holes were lined up properly. I haven't looked at the instructions lately, but I'm almost sure that the gasket you mention was given a part number. God luck....

I just bought a jagg cooler and read the instructions today. They say not to put any oil on the o-ring between the adapter and the motor. This makes sense but normally you apply oil to the filter. I think they want it dry to help it from loosening when you remove the oil filter. Maybe you have oil on yours and its not tight enough. This might cause a small leak.

They dont list replacement parts for the cooler kit (which is really stupid...)

The CVO Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic comes stock with the oil cooler and the replacement gasket you want is available if your dealer looks up parts for that model.

I also had seepage from mine when I installed the kit but retorqued it and no further problems.

Well. I took the adapter and gasket off after I made sure the oil filter adapter was tight. I couldn't see anything wrong with the gasket, but of course did not want to use it again so I called the stealer for a new one. They used the CVO Ultra parts book and came up with the gasket number for me (63066-07). I stopped by after work and I was pleasantly suprised. This new gasket was about twice as thick and one side was adhesive. WOW did that make things easy. Cleaned up the adapter, stuck on the new gasket, so and so on. NO LEAKS :bigsmiley8:

Thanks to all of you for your help. By the way, I did take another look at the parts breakdown for the cooler and they list a gasket service kit (12056-05) that includes the adapter gasket and the gasket on the adapter for the inlet and outlet hose. I must have been a little frustrated when I looked the first time :D

Back