free website stats program Gas tank noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank noise

Jim_B

First of all....new to this forum. Looking for advice or direction....maybe some of both.
Briefly......
I started hearing a bang noise like a marble occassionally in my gas tank. Was able to hear it while listening to tunes. Did it for 10 minutes then stopped. Rode today for 30 minutes and heard it once going around a sharp corner slow....then possibly again.
Can't find anything loose. Could it be in my tank....sender loose? Pump loose? Or noise traveling.
Both time it did it I was not under hard acceleration and it would do it until I pulled in the clutch and stopped. I even think it did it one time rolling with clutch pulled in.
2010 Road Glide Custom with 96 and stage one using PCV with fuelmoto map.
Is that a ping....can't imagine a ping being that loud?
Help would be appreciated. I am 2nd owner so no warranty.
Also 6500 miles on bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Could be pinging but usually this occurs when the bike is under heavier load than you are describing.
A thought crossed my mind that it could be a loose primary chain or even a loose compensator nut.

Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here. Sounds/noise can travel so it can sometimes be hard to pin point where it's coming from. Sounds more like something is loose rather than a ping. I'm sure someone who had a similar problem will chime in and give you direction on what to check out. Good luck.

Could very well be spark knock, try some octane boost first or a better grade of gas accelerate hard and listen for the knock

Back