free website stats program gas smell | Harley Davidson Forums

gas smell

mrl636

I've got a '05 ultra classic with 22k miles. Lately I"ve been smelling gas while sitting on it just before I start it. I can't find any leaks and it doesn't happen all the time. It doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank: full, half, or nearly empty. No wind, or slight breeze. Hot temperature, or cool temperature. Bike been sitting for hours or minutes. I don't smell it while riding or stopped for signal lights, or just before I turn it off. Any ideas?

I've got a '05 ultra classic with 22k miles. Lately I"ve been smelling gas while sitting on it just before I start it. I can't find any leaks and it doesn't happen all the time. It doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank: full, half, or nearly empty. No wind, or slight breeze. Hot temperature, or cool temperature. Bike been sitting for hours or minutes. I don't smell it while riding or stopped for signal lights, or just before I turn it off. Any ideas?

check your gas cap.

Check the plastic fuel tank fittings, hose connections and may want to inspect for "seepage" or leakage. Do you have a service manual to help you trace the fuel line routing and all the fittings (including SMOG device cannister plumbing and such as well).

My Dyna was leaking or more accurately weeping from under the console. Gas would work its way down to the leather piece between the console and the seat so nothing was visible. The leather was pretty much saturated so I would smell it at all fuel levels. Every time I would walk into the garage I would smell gas but could never see any.

I pulled the seat and found a hose that could be a vent line from the gas tank disconnected from what looks like a small canister. I can't trace it after this canister with out pulling out the battery. Bringing laid off, I haven't been able to get a service manual and don't want to get to involved yet. I'll know in a couple of days if that's what caused the smell.

Back