free website stats program Gas mileage is poor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas mileage is poor

The MoCo says the 2012 Switchback, in stock trim, should get 42mpg and that is running with an AFR of 14.7; pretty lean. Add a tuner, richen the AFR to 13.2-13.6 and mileage will drop.

The MoCo says my bike should get 42 also. Every single tank since I've had it has gotten right at 35. Before it was broken in and after. No difference. And it's still completely stock. Although I do ride between 75-80 on the highway.

The only way to check mileage against factory specs is to find a 50 mile stretch of fairly flat road, fill the tank and run out 50 miles holding speeds between 60-65mph. Turn around and ride 50 back the same way; fill up and check mileage.

If I ran 60-65 mph on a Texas highway, I'd be run over in a New York minute :(

Once you modify the engine to improve performance and the road throws things at you like wind, terrain that changes in elevation or direction that require on/off throttle application, load the bags with gear and start running 70-80mph, forget about achieving the MoCo poste mileage; it won't happen.

It is what it is, fill up when you need to and don't check mileage. Enjoy being knees in the wind; that's what motorcycling is all about.:bigsmiley11:

Yep, I'd prefer to get closer to 40 mpg, but I'm not that worried about it. Still more concerned with the gas smell than my mpg's.

glazier,
I pretty much cover south, west and northwest Texas; live in San Antonio, so I know what you are saying about Texas highways but know for a fact that you can run 60-65 without getting run over. I have done it several times for the very purpose of establishing a baseline mileage to quantify the impact on fuel economy of performance and drive train modifications I have made to Harleys.

All I am saying is that to check mileage against advertised, the bike has to be in stock trim and ridden the 100 miles as described. Once you have that baseline, you can repeat the test after any modifications, like a tune to the stock engine, Stage 1 and tune, bigger bore, headwork, cams, etc.

Don't know what to tell you about the gas smell but if I were you, I would be looking for the source.

Back