free website stats program Gas dumping, uhoh what now? | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas dumping, uhoh what now?

fatboygirl

Hi there,

Gas started pouring out of my overflow hose about 10 minutes after I shut it off. It all drained into my right tank and out the hose it went. Is it possible that my caps are bad? It isn't leaking anywhere else, just out the hose.
I just bought the bike and fixed all of the other issues with it, turn signals, wiring, oil leaks etc. About the only thing I didn't replace yet are the gas caps. I dislike them anyway.

Any suggestions?

You have to open up the carb and clean out the needle and seat. There's some debris causing it to hang open and what happened to you is the result of that. I would remove and clean out the tank and fuel lines too.

You could try to drain the carb with the drain screw at the bottom but I would suggest opening it up and drop the float and needle out and let some fuel flow through the line with the parts removed to clean it out.

CVFloatbowlRR.png

Glider has you covered. Cleaning the float bowl and making sure there is no trash in the tank, lines and filter will solve your problem. Changing your gas caps is up to you, but they are not the problem. If you have a manual you will see that there are 4 screws holding the float bowl to the carb.

Thank you, I will try that next. I did replace all of the hoses just because of the age of the bike. I have NO IDEA what the person that had it befor me was thinking! It was a mess and took me 3 months to get it road worthy. (Just in time for beautiful weather here in Fl)

Thank you again.

KK

As Glider said you will need to remove the float bowl and get at the float needle valve could be just some dirt in there but at the age of your bike it may be that the rubber coating on the tip of the needle has hardened and is not sealing so replacing the needle may be required
a service manual for your bike would may be helpful for stuff like this

Brian

The first thing I bought was a manual. They are worth their weight in gold when you need it for that littlest thing that tics you off the most.

Thank you for your help. I will do that.

I don't know what the guy I bought it from was thinking, but it was a mess!

Back