free website stats program Garage door openers for Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

Garage door openers for Harley

Ken S.

After reading a thread about one of our members buying a HD garage door opener I thought I'd post my thoughts about how we as riders can make it easier on ourselves where garage door openers are concerned.

Who doesn't hate to get off their bike and dig through a saddle bag for the garage door opener, I know I do. Plus, being out on the road and having one stolen out of a bag is a bummer. How many different bikes have you seen with some kind of rigged up GDO velcroed on or in a small bag strapped to the handlebars. I've seen a lot of them. So here's what I did.

I'm in the garage door business so this was an easy one for me. The HD GDO is expensive, and some folks are having trouble with them do to the type of door operator they have. This solution will work for everyone no matter what type of door operator you have.

Most GDO manufactures have a mini TX/transmitter. Here are a few examples.

Genie Garage Door Opener Remote Control Transmitters

Multi-Function and Remote Control Products, Clickers, from Chamberlain LiftMaster

The liftmaster mini TX will work on any GDO with the addition of a liftmaster radio control/reciever.

If you have a Genie or Liftmaster/Chamberlain/Sears, < all liftmaster products you can just buy a keyfob mini tx and you're set.

Since the mini TX is the size of a keyfob much like the one you have for your cage, you can put it on your MC keychain and take it with you in your pocket when you make a stop the road. And when you get home you can put your bike in neutral and reach down and push the button without getting off your bike.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Good post Ken, and yes the mini-fob is the ticket, I have a "special place" on my bike for it and they are great...especially if you get caught in the rain and want to pull in your bike quick.

Yes having a remote makes it easier to drive up, most likley stop push the button and open the door. However , I have the H-D system on both my bikes, never had any trouble programing them, and it is a very easy operation. Just turn the high beam on / off 100 ft away and the door is open before I get there. The system also allows stopping the door part way, just like the remote that came with the G-door opener. One thing I learn'd along time ago, if your key needs to be in the ignition on your bike, remember what ever you attatch to it is going to flap arround in the wind, rubbing / slapping on the chrome or painted surface. I had a beadded leather key chain on mine once, it didn't take long for the beads to break off and the side cover to get all scar'd up.

Back