free website stats program Fuel Sending Unit Or Fuel Gauge?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Sending Unit Or Fuel Gauge??

2001FLHT

2001 FLHT ELECTRA GLIDE.
My fuel guage needle pegs back and forth with vibration. I took the tank hold down bolts out as if to remove the tank, and it seemed to stop jumping around. Does this sound like the sending unit or the gauge???
Help Please....

The gauge is only a means of registering the output from the potentiometer in the fuel tank. A bouncing gauge will be the result of fuel sloshing in the tank more so than the gauge itself.

This is my first time on this site so I'm not sure how to post, but I have a problem in this area. The fuel gauge on my 98 road king classic is not working properly. It reads full all the time and the light comes on at 1/2 full. I changed the sending unit and float assembly today but still doing the same. Any ideas?

This is my first time on this site so I'm not sure how to post, but I have a problem in this area. The fuel gauge on my 98 road king classic is not working properly. It reads full all the time and the light comes on at 1/2 full. I changed the sending unit and float assembly today but still doing the same. Any ideas?

Looks like you posted OK:D

If you use the info in this post, you can test the output of the sending unit and determine where the problem is. Quite possible the float may be hanging up on something inside the tank.

Fuel Gauge and Sender Test - Harley Davidson Community

Welcome to the forum.

this is my first time on here also, but I am having the same problem. I have a 2009 Ultra and the gauge was working fine when I left for my trip, while on the way home the gauge started acting up. the gauge will read fine when I first start it up but the second I get up to road speed the gauge will read full regardless of the amount of gas in the tank and the low fuel light comes on at about a half of tank.

any ideas

this is my first time on here also, but I am having the same problem. I have a 2009 Ultra and the gauge was working fine when I left for my trip, while on the way home the gauge started acting up. the gauge will read fine when I first start it up but the second I get up to road speed the gauge will read full regardless of the amount of gas in the tank and the low fuel light comes on at about a half of tank.

any ideas

tn763s3.jpg

Look here

any ideas

Just had the same problem with my 2006 flhtci, the yellow wire from the sending unit was not making a good connection to the gauge, it had some how worked loose. You will need to remove the outer fairing to check it out.

Back