free website stats program Fuel "Off" Position | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel "Off" Position

When I took the rider's ed course the method they taught us to start was "FINE-C" which translates Fuel, Ignition,Neutral,Engine - Choke, then start. Turning it off is the opposite order.(Obviously once he bike is running you close the choke) To this day I still think of that when starting up or shutting down. A few times when I left something out ( like ignition or Fuel) my battery went deat or the engine died because I still had the fuel in "off position.Now I'm pretty consistant with the whole procedure.

We were taught to always leave the bike in gear when parked ,but my husband says it should be in neutral. What is the feeling on that one????????????

I put my bike in 1st gear when I park at a location other than my garage (neutral in the garage). I like to have it in gear on any incline. I'm not sure why you shouldn't put it in gear when parking. Obviously, you don't want it in gear and the clutch engaged when attempting to start the bike. I usually slip it into neutral when ready to start. No matter what gear I think it is in I always disengage (pull) the clutch before cranking.

Don't know that I'm using the best techniques but that how I do it.

I put my bike in 1st gear when I park at a location other than my garage (neutral in the garage). I like to have it in gear on any incline. I'm not sure why you shouldn't put it in gear when parking. Obviously, you don't want it in gear and the clutch engaged when attempting to start the bike. I usually slip it into neutral when ready to start. No matter what gear I think it is in I always disengage (pull) the clutch before cranking.

Don't know that I'm using the best techniques but that how I do it.

Leave the bike in gear to prevent it rolling off the sidestand inadvertently (specially if downhill incline). :s

Put it in neutral when astride the bike when starting, in case you inavertently release the clutch...a bad lurch could follow as HD does not put interlock/neutral safety switch in clutch handle/gearbox like metrics to cut the ignition. :yeahright

Last edited:
As A Rule I Don't Shut My Fuel Off. Although It Is Now Since Mother Nature Insisted Upon Winter Being Here. I Like To Leave Mine In Neutral Also Except When On An Incline. Mainly Because I'm Always Trying To Start It Before I Get On It And Before I Get My Gear On So It Can Be Warming Up While I'm Getting Ready To Ride. The Lung Effect Doesn't Work To Well When You Forget And Try To Do That With It In Gear. Kinda Embarrassing Also.

Well after reading this thread I think im going to shut mine off even though I never do, ever since O got it on April 15,2008 I havent had a Problem with it at all though but its true what most of you guys say better to be safe than sorry!!

Back