free website stats program fuel leak / over flow | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel leak / over flow

two banger

Hi guys
I have my friends 2000 ,1200 sportster in my shop, and it leaks fuel out the over flow only when its at an idle. If you speed up the rpm just a bit the leak stops. I cleanded the carb , lifted the float needle valve hight , nothing seems to make a diff. The bike runs great . Any help would be great.
Thanks

Drop the float pin out and remove the float and clean or replace the needle in the inlet valve that the float lifts. Something either stuck in there or it's bad.

I have that float needle out right now and its clean, looks brand new. I was thinking on replacing it. But if it was dirty would it not leak if the bike was shut off ? It only leaks at an idle. On a fast idle ( a bit on the hi side) it doest leak. Thats whats ticking me off.

The needle can have a slight indent in it,allowing fuel past the seat at an idle

Hi guys
I have my friends 2000 ,1200 sportster in my shop, lifted the float needle valve hight , Thanks

Not to second guess you, but are you sure you went the right way on the float setting? Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but it sounds like you raised the fuel level in the carb...

Never mind, "I see, said the blind man!"

Last edited:
I installed the new float needle on saturday, and bent the float tab back and all is well. No leaks and it runs great.
Thanks again.

The rubber coating on the tip of the needle does deteriorate after a number of years and is a common cause of carb float bowls overflowing
its a well known problem om BMW r series bikes with bing carbs

Brian

Back