free website stats program Fuel leak 05 Fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel leak 05 Fatboy

Hi Guys,

I have a fuel leak, a minor but annoying one, that only happens when I first park the bike. Dosen't leak much fuel, but enough to drip down the primary case. If I turn the fuel off when parking it doesn't happen and there is no leak whilst riding. Does any one have any experience with this? Or any idea what it might be. I'm down to reserve at the moment and thought if it isn't too big a task I could take a look before refueling. All assistance gratefully accepted.

I have 2002 Fat Bot that is leaking fuel from around the fuel guage wire that comes out from under the tank, the o-ring needs replaced. Check it to see that is where it leaking from. Have to pull guage and tank to replace it.

Aust Fatboy, I urge you to get this leak found and fixed before you ride it much more. It may be in the fuel line itself, a crack maybe. Unfortunately for me years ago I had a Sportster. I smelled fuel once in a while and never saw any leaks. I was young and even stupider and tossed it off as a fuel vapors. I knew better but had to ride that bike to work, actually I was in the Navy at the time. Then on about the 3rd or 4th day of smelling the fumes, as I was riding it, the fuel ignited and I was on fire. I got it stopped and pulled over really quick, someone had a fire extinguisher and it finally got put out. I got another to pull me back onto base with a rope and I just kicked myself for not checking it out and getting it fixed when I first noticed a problem. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and that is why I am flashing back to that rotten day about 1972. :s

I had a small fuel leak when i replaced my fuel pressure regalator. Mine was that the O-ring was worn that was on a senor that is located under the dash and also that the clip that held that sensor was no longer bent the proper way to make sure there was a good seal. Turk55 i think is talking about the same thing. Theres not too many places that fuel could be leaking from, but that would be a good place to start. I would pull off your dash and just check and see if there is any signs of a leak.

Back