free website stats program fuel guage help please | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel guage help please

2001FLHT

2001 flht electra glide standard has an erractic fuel guage reading. It will read correctly for a few seconds and then ping from E to F in all directions then stop on the correct reading again for a few seconds.
Does this sound like the guage? or the unit in the tank??

I have a 96 electra glide classic with the same problem.I saw where glider posted the fuel gauge sender test for a 03 softail,and I'm wondering if it is the same for a 96 flhtci.I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I have a 96 electra glide classic with the same problem.I saw where glider posted the fuel gauge sender test for a 03 softail,and I'm wondering if it is the same for a 96 flhtci.I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

The values should be about the same for both.

Had a similar problem on my '02 electra-glide. When the tank was half empty, if I cracked the throttle going down the road, the guage would go to the empty mark, then come back up when I let off of it. Ended up changing ( I believe) the speedometer sending unit. May have to help me on this Glider, its the unit directly behind the oil fill tube. Some friends told me to take it out and clean it, but had to replace it. Took care of my problem.:bigsmiley32:

Had a similar problem on my '02 electra-glide. When the tank was half empty, if I cracked the throttle going down the road, the guage would go to the empty mark, then come back up when I let off of it. Ended up changing ( I believe) the speedometer sending unit. May have to help me on this Glider, its the unit directly behind the oil fill tube. Some friends told me to take it out and clean it, but had to replace it. Took care of my problem.:bigsmiley32:

That's a new one on me. I would have thought it was the fuel sloshing to the rear of the tank on acceleration. I don't see any connection between the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and the fuel sending unit but anything is possible on these bikes as a first.:D

Back