free website stats program Fuel Filter Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Filter Replacement

Re: Top plate fuel leak

I noted you said you used New screws during re-assembly. Sure enough the service manual says to be sure to use NEW screws.

What is special about using new screws? I can see a new gasket but why the screws? Can't use sealant around threads?
Anyone know?

Either torque prevailing screws or The MOCO doesnt want a DOT problem with screw loosening up on a critical area like this. I can remember when they got sued in the early 80s for a defective gas cap JMO, Jack

When reinstalling the pump/filter/plate assembly into the tank: Does the pump bottom out in the tank before the plate is seated on the top? Mine seems to hold the plate up about 3/8". I have to put hand pressure onto the plate to get it into position to install the screws.
After I got all of the screws in, I had leaks. I have disassembled it and am going to try again tomorrow, but I have to get new screws again because the seals appear damaged. (I used new screws on the last install as well.) I'm hoping I just over torqued things and distorted the gasket.
fourstar -- I just replaced my fuel filter on 2007 road king -- my pump assy bottomed out also with about 1/8 inch separation -- had to push down to line up the screws on the plate. When you installed it the second time did it bottom out again or did you find something not quite right? I'm sure I didn't bend anything changing the fuel filter. Any update would be great. I really don't want to tear into this thing again unless I have to -- running good right now. Thanx.

Just replaced the fuel sender in my 05. I used the new screws and seal. Reinstalled and ya it felt like there was a slight pressure like it didn't want to go down all the way. Tightened the screws down pretty good filled here up and later that day noticed a small fuel residue on the left side of tank. Took it back apart and cranked it down quite a bit more. Noticed that the clear around the top plate on each side about the second screw down looked as it had bubbled from fuel were the seal meets the tank. Talked to a guy that paints custom bikes and he suggested popping the clear off to bare metal and covering with clear epoxy to lock it down. Sorry this is so long but a few screws and a rubber seal shouldn't seem so difficult.

Ok did a little checking and the leak is around the plug in the top plate. Forgot to install the new o ring when I replaced it. Could of swore that it had one oopps. As for it not feeling like it goes down all the way well in my manual it shows a small rubber bumper on the end of the fuel pump that rest on the bottom of the tank thats why it has a little resistance. When I look in the tank I can see where it has been resting.

Will the filter cause the following?

1) Normal idle, and no hesitation in throttle under no load.

2) Under load (65 + MPH), occational hesitation, and when attempting a heavy load, such as going up a bridge, the bike boggs down, loses power and I get a backfire = not enough supply for the demand.

3) After shutting the bike off, I hear a high pitch noise (like something losing pressure) from the fuel tank. Confirmed by listening with fuel cap off.

Any additional info needed?

Will the filter cause the following?

1) Normal idle, and no hesitation in throttle under no load.

2) Under load (65 + MPH), occational hesitation, and when attempting a heavy load, such as going up a bridge, the bike boggs down, loses power and I get a backfire = not enough supply for the demand.

3) After shutting the bike off, I hear a high pitch noise (like something losing pressure) from the fuel tank. Confirmed by listening with fuel cap off.

Any additional info needed?

JUST wanted to answer this OLD post to see IF I have the answer....

The noise could be the pressure line with a pin-hole in it, making the noise.

Also an Intake manifold gasket leak might be included here...

IF you are still around please reply to Your Fix... (PM Sent)

signed....BUBBIE

Hey Bubbie.

Yes after pressure testing the fuel system, I found a pin hole in the fuel line from the regulator, to the valve stem, where it leaves the tank.

It's a very dangerous situation for your engine. Makes it run really fuel starved at high RPMs. Not good.

Well,,,,,,,I do TRY...:newsmile105:

Thanks for that compliment...

Your 20 bucks is in the mail:bigsmiley18:

signed....BUBBIE

Back