free website stats program Frustrated.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Frustrated....

Smooth Air

Having big problems here.....

Installed cv upgrade kit. Only went up 5 on the main jet, and went down 1 on the slow. Carb keeps flooding. Float appears to be alright, because when I take the bowl off, it's only half full. Difficult to get bike started, and once started, it's missing pretty bad. Gas is dripping from the air filter.

Need help please!!!

SmoothAir

How full would the bowl be if you almost submurged the float in the gas.have you checked for any debris between the needle and seat.Maybe a smallpiece af "sliced" line caused by/from the R&R of line

Were you having flooding problems before you changed the jets? What do you mean you only went up 5 on the main jet? Five what, from a 160 to a 165? On the low speed jet why did you go down, and what jet are you now using? Are you sure you have the trottle cables adj right? Did you get the boot on the primer (choke) seated right and are you sure you got the plastic nut screwed back into the carb body all the way? Did you change the rubber boot on the intake manifold?

How full would the bowl be if you almost submurged the float in the gas.have you checked for any debris between the needle and seat.Maybe a smallpiece af "sliced" line caused by/from the R&R of line

I don't know about the first question. There is no debris because I changed the fuel inlet valve and checked then.

Were you having flooding problems before you changed the jets? What do you mean you only went up 5 on the main jet? Five what, from a 160 to a 165? On the low speed jet why did you go down, and what jet are you now using? Are you sure you have the trottle cables adj right? Did you get the boot on the primer (choke) seated right and are you sure you got the plastic nut screwed back into the carb body all the way? Did you change the rubber boot on the intake manifold?

No flooding problems before.

Went from a 170 to 175.

On the low jet, I went from a 45 to a 44, because the pilot mixture screw didn't have any effect when I turned it, so I stepped down one number. I think what was in it before was a dynokit, and the kit that I just bought came from cv performance, and it is modified to let a lot more gas in. I also have heard that dynos numbers didn't match most other kits.

Throttle cables are adjusted correctly.

Plunger on the primer is working properly. I did take it off a second time just to check and make sure.

I did change the boot on the manifold to a James boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for getting back to me. When you say it's flooding do you mean that gas is coming out of the overflow tube (small tube attached to bottom of bowl) or it's fowling the plugs? Have you tried putting the original high speed jet back in? Have you made any other mods to the motor or air cleaner? Did you change the needle position or the needle itself? Did you check to see if you pinched the diaphram when you put the slide back in?

One more thought, did you change the spring on top of the slide?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for getting back to me. When you say it's flooding do you mean that gas is coming out of the overflow tube (small tube attached to bottom of bowl) or it's fowling the plugs? Have you tried putting the original high speed jet back in? Have you made any other mods to the motor or air cleaner? Did you change the needle position or the needle itself? Did you check to see if you pinched the diaphram when you put the slide back in?

One more thought, did you change the spring on top of the slide?

Don,

I have a Sportster sport model, so there is no drain tube. I did put the original jet back in and still had the same problem. No changes to the motor, but I did install a spike air cleaner. As far as the needle, my kit came with a needle that cannot be set, and that is the needle I used. Diaphragm works perfect, watched as bike ran, and it moved up and down freely. You can hear suction when raised. I did change the spring with a new lightweight modified spring. Am in the process now of trying to set float precisely and could use some help on that! Manual says it should be set at 0.413 at a 15 to 20degree angle.

A better way to check float level is to use a clear tube poked tightly in the drain plug hole and bending it upwards to see that it is about 3/16" below the seam. A little trial and error, but more accurate...JMO. Also would recommend stock HD parts, could be someone partially installed a DynoJet kit which also includes drill for opening up the emulsion tube with dubious results...the Keihein carb has been around long enough that all the nits were worked out long ago.

Follow Glider's Self Help tip for totally stock carb...#95, #180 and 2 #4 washers under the stock needle, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns on the mixture screw and your done.

Back