free website stats program Front End Banging when hitting bumps? | Harley Davidson Forums

Front End Banging when hitting bumps?

Hunter78

I have 06 Dyna Low Rider and I am getting this banging in front end everytime I hit any small bumps. Any thoughts ? thanks

Have you done anything recently to the front end? Check for loose nuts and proper torque on the bolts. Could be a number of things would need more detail to be able to help diagnose.

I have not done anything to the front end the bike is all stock. It feels like metal of metal when I go over the smallest bumps.

My fxdc had the same problem with the front end. Or so I thought! I could have sworn the banging I was hearing was from the front end and of course the dealer did not feel anything on the test drive. One day I was feeling it again but had a thought......I reached back and grabbed the sissy bar and pulled tight on it.......banging was gone. Turns out my detachable luggage rack / sissy bar nuts had loosened up! Quick fix! Point is rattles and vibrations travel through the frame quite a bit.....The sound seemed like it was coming from in front of me but was really behind me.

Also with anything coming from the front end you may want to check the neck bearing......the old fall away test. My neck bearing loosened up with 1k on the bike and the dealer did the fall away test and in 45 minutes I was out the door and it was good to go. The symptom I was getting on the loose neck bearing was a clunk or bang when applying the front break. Don't know if that is what you are getting from yours but you may want to look at that!

How many miles on the bike.

Jack the front wheel off the ground and test Fall-Away neck bearing preload adjustment which has already been mentioned.. Also spin the wheel and check for noise on the sealed front wheel bearings.

Also check the front gas tank mounting bolt. May feel tight but you have to squeeze the tank "ears" completely to be sure.... (tighten it down). Mine was loose and it drove me nuts for 2 weeks looking for the noise..(sounded like whole front end was falling off)

I seem to remember a thread about the fuel tank moving and making similar noises on some Dynas? Might be worth a look also.

Never mind Hoople has ya covered :)

I might add here too that if you do a service (oil replacement) measure the amount of oil that comes out of each leg and compare to the specs for the bike. Many have come short on oil since new.

Many have come short on oil since new.

Glider, when I changed the oil in my legs, the removed oil did not match the spec in the service manual. The removed oil was actually MORE. I was not sure what to do. (replace what was removed or go by book spec).

Which would you have done?

Back