free website stats program Front disc "swoosh" sound | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front disc "swoosh" sound

I hesitate to even say this but...this is pretty common. I can't say that they "all do that" but I suspect they do. You can use some spray on brake cleaner and steel wool to scrub the rotors (be careful, you can burn your paint) but in a few days the Nike Swooshing is back again. I find the best thing is just plain old soapy water like you use when you bucket wash the whole bike. Wash the inside and outside of your rotors.

If all else looks good then replace front pads with O.E. Harley pads. It may have some of the inexpensive aftermarket pads like the ones found on Ebay.

Do remember that a "light" swish and intermittant is okay, a "heavy" constant swoosh or moaning dragging sound is NOT...usually can mean that the wheel may not have been installed square so the caliper is constantly dragging...it should be an intemittant swish, as the runout of the disc rotors "nudge" the single action caliper(s) my sportster and stops in a few rotations. It also has two in front and you can tell if the sound is even from left to right also, as the wear should be uniform if all the calipers are centered and move freely on their properly lubricated pivots...(hint-hint).

Back